upgrade/install question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
whonozz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

upgrade/install question

Post by whonozz »

I’m about to upgrade from DP v5.11 on OS 10.4.11 to DP v7.24 on OS 10.6.8

After installing DP 7, should I open up an old DP 5 project under DP 7 first, or open a new project? What would be the positives and negatives of doing either?

I guess what I’m wondering is, if I opened an older DP5 project first would all my initial setups (configure hardware / studio settings / MIDI and audio devices) that are currently correct and working in DP5, will they show up the same in DP 7?
MacPro dual 2.66 w/5GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / DP5.11 / Raptor & Glyph HD's / Symphony PCIe w/Rosetta800 / UAD1e/AT5/Kontakt2/EW Colossus & PercussiveAdventures2/EZdrummer/Peak5 / ADL600/UA 2-1176 /AlphaTrack/CentralStation /NHTPro
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: upgrade/install question

Post by mikehalloran »

After installing DP 7, should I open up an old DP 5 project under DP 7 first, or open a new project? What would be the positives and negatives of doing either?
The question is a non-issue. New projects are new projects and vise versa.

First off, do not delete 5.11 until you have opened all of your old projects in 7.24. It will still work fine (5.13 will work even better and had additional functionality).

Old projects should open the same in 7.24 although the look will be a little different. You may have to reassign your input and outputs - no big deal. Do not hit Save if there are problems - once you save a file in DP 7, it will no longer open in DP 5 so only Save if you see that all of your soundbites are present and everything is fine.

If, however, you see that your soundbites are greyed out and "missing" in the error box, post that. I know the problem, cause and what to do about it. Do not Save or do anything else to the file. If everything opens fine and works, you are good to go. Check all your projects, if possible - especially any that originated on another Mac (a beige G3 in my case) as they are most likely to give you grief in 7.24. You shouldn't have any trouble with files that originated on that Mac.

Once you have successfully opened all projects in 7.24, you may uninstall DP 5. Run the 5.11 installer and when you get to Easy Install, you will see Uninstall in the drop-down menu. Run it. If 5.11 was an upgrade, do the same with your original CD.

Removing DP 5 will cause 7.24 to stop working (been there, done that). So, once you have removed DP 5, insert your 7.24 CD. Run the Uninstaller and re-install DP 7.24 from its CD. Now you are good to go.
I guess what I’m wondering is, if I opened an older DP5 project first would all my initial setups (configure hardware / studio settings / MIDI and audio devices) that are currently correct and working in DP5, will they show up the same in DP 7?
Many of my projects did not need resetting as I had created thim on my iMac. If they originated on another machine, you may have to reset them. It takes a minute or two and, once you save, you're ok. It's certainly nothing to worry about.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I wouldn't delete the old version regardless. I generally keep earlier versions in my machines for at least a few month - sometimes longer. Just in case.And by all means KEEP THE INSTALLER DMGs! You just never know...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I wouldn't delete the old version regardless. I generally keep earlier versions in my machines for at least a few month - sometimes longer. Just in case.And by all means KEEP THE INSTALLER DMGs! You just never know...
Agreed!

I had 7.24 firing on all cylinders for two years before I deleted DP 5.13 and 6.03 (which I never used) fro, my iMac. I still have them along with DP 3.12, 4.61, 7.01 and 7.12 sitting on an old G4 running OS 10.4.11 and 9.1.2. It gets used to open old projects such as my wife's AppleWorks and MacWrite files. If I ever needed to open a DP 2, 3 or 4 file that won't open in 7.24, I'd put it on that old machine first.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
whonozz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by whonozz »

Thanks for the input.

I understand that once I save an old DP5 project in DP7, that I can't go back. I was planning on partitioning my system drive before I upgraded OS and installed DP7.24 . I thought that would be a safe way to always be able to get back to square one, if you know what I mean. Am I wrong in that assumption?

I am doing the new DP upgrade and install on the same MacPro that I’ve been using DP5.11 on. MOTU tech support just confirmed that as long as I’m installing DP7.24 on the same computer that I’ve been running DP5.11 on, that whenever I open up an older DP5 project that all my hardware and audio configurations should update to DP7.24 without me doing anything. That in essence is what I was questioning on this post.
MacPro dual 2.66 w/5GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / DP5.11 / Raptor & Glyph HD's / Symphony PCIe w/Rosetta800 / UAD1e/AT5/Kontakt2/EW Colossus & PercussiveAdventures2/EZdrummer/Peak5 / ADL600/UA 2-1176 /AlphaTrack/CentralStation /NHTPro
MIDI Life Crisis

I can still run SVP a power Mac 7600 that sits in a closet. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

whonozz wrote:I understand that once I save an old DP5 project in DP7, that I can't go back.
You can save from DP7 as a DP5 project so that shouldn't be a problem.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I am doing the new DP upgrade and install on the same MacPro that I’ve been using DP5.11 on. MOTU tech support just confirmed that as long as I’m installing DP7.24 on the same computer that I’ve been running DP5.11 on, that whenever I open up an older DP5 project that all my hardware and audio configurations should update to DP7.24 without me doing anything. That in essence is what I was questioning on this post.
And that is the question I answered correctly.
whenever I open up an older DP5 project that all my hardware and audio configurations should update to DP7.24 without me doing anything.
The problem I hinted at may or may not exist for you - if it does, you'll know it, big time. If it doesn't you will wonder what the fuss is all about. And no, I am not telling what the problem is unless you experience it.

What is correct is that any file you created on that Mac should open properly in 7.24. It is not a given that files created on other Macs will do the same - even if they open properly in 5, 6 and 7.01 as all of my old files did.

Stop worrying and second guessing this. Just install and start opening files.

There is no reason to partition the drive as it can create problems in this instance. You can copy all of your project folders into a separate folder if you want to keep safety backups. Once everything is fine in DP 7.24, delete it and reclaim your drive space.
whonozz wrote:
I understand that once I save an old DP5 project in DP7, that I can't go back.

You can save from DP7 as a DP5 project so that shouldn't be a problem.
The only reason you will ever do that is to share a file with a user who has not updated. It is not applicable. If you have problems with a DP 5 file in 7.24, do not save until the problem is fixed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Mike... I was the one who said you can save a DP7 file as a DP5 file. Only reason I mentioned it is because the OP seemed to say that if he saved as a DP7 project you could no longer open that project in DP5. Seems to me because there's a "Save as DP5" option, that isn't really the case.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

And there's always AAF, OMF. SMF that can be exported and reimported to earlier versions (as well as other DAWs). A determined mind will find a way regardless of what the obstacles are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXRXpOWHDE
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS