What is an efficient quantized audio editing workflow?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What is an efficient quantized audio editing workflow?

Post by Robert Randolph »

I work with a lot of modern metal styles that rely heavily on critical parts of the song to be heavily aligned to the grid. I can manage multitracked drums fairly well with simply using the 'quantize beats within soundbites' and 'quantize soundbites functions'. They do a lot of work with few clicks.

The trouble that I'm having is when working with the guitar, bass and auxiliary percussion parts. Due to the nature of these instruments, the 'quantize beats within soundbites' seems to require a lot of extra work to obtain suitable results. I also usually have to edit them immediately after tracking for playback to the musicians and further tracking.

I think the easiest way to explain what I am looking to do is to explain how it's done in 'other daws'. I'm not looking to make DP work like something else. I am simply interested in obtaining the same result in DP with similar speed.

In another daw (your choice of logic, pro tools or studio one), I can simply look at the region in the main timeline, click-drag a marker in the correct direction and it will snap to the nearest grid line. The previous note is modified as necessary and the next notes remain in place. It's 1 click, no changing of windows. Handling multiple tracks is a matter of just using edit groups. (logic requires an extra step)

In DP, the best I've managed is:
* create a selection that extends before the grid line I want to quantize to up to the next note
* open the quantize window
* select the correct quantize value
* hit enter
* Occasionally I have to repeat this if the beat is quantized in the wrong direction or to the wrong division.

If the selection does not extend past the grid line, then DP does not seem to recognize it as a valid quantization point. This results in occasional errors with having to create a new selection and repeating the process. For multiple tracks in DP, I have to use the 'copy beats' function and put them in the same edit group.

Overall this is a much slower process and appears to be somewhat error-prone. I'm hoping that I'm simply missing a better way to do this.

Is there a better workflow that I'm missing in DP that would allow me to do this work more quickly? :headbang:
Robert Randolph

Re: What is an efficient quantized audio editing workflow?

Also, thanks to Magic Dave for giving me some tips via email 2 weeks ago.

I am looking to move most of my work to a new DAW and I've been busy demoing a couple other DAWS. I was a DP5-6 user with PT, then moved to PT exclusively due to freelance work.

DP8 is at the top of my list right now, but my demo period is over and I have to 'resolve' some issues I had by reading the manual and forum. Thank you for any help!
Robert Randolph

Re: What is an efficient quantized audio editing workflow?

bump?