SSL Duende: Does it work reliably today?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SSL Duende: Does it work reliably today?

Post by James Steele »

With modern OSs and DP 64-bit will these work reliably? Saw one used recently for cheap. This is the hardware unit.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: SSL Duende: Does it work reliable today?

Post by James Steele »

Damn Tapatalk... can't fix grammatical problem with topic title.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

The SSL gear is great and I can only say that my SSL interface works well with Mavericks. I have Duende but haven't updated it in a while for two reasons:

1. Adding plugins is outrageously expensive.

2. Getting hardware repaired will require you to send it back to England. Been there. Seen it. Done that. No sir, don't like it. Won't do it again.

I have no complaints about the quality of their products, fwiw.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Hey James,

Unfortunately it won't work in 64 bit mode. If you're still using Snow Leopard in 32 bit mode, you'll be fine. I have a duende collecting dust for this reason. SSL's "compromise" was allowing users to switch to the Native plugin option, which will work on 64 bit OS systems.
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kwiz wrote:Hey James,

Unfortunately it won't work in 64 bit mode. If you're still using Snow Leopard in 32 bit mode, you'll be fine. I have a duende collecting dust for this reason. SSL's "compromise" was allowing users to switch to the Native plugin option, which will work on 64 bit OS systems.
Thanks for the info. When I saw one on Craigslist for $175. Yes, $175, I had to wonder!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/4566963582.html

Frodo

Re: SSL Duende: Does it work reliably today?

Post by Frodo »

Man. I paid almost 10 times that much for it new. :oops:

I would now pay $175 on top of the price of a sledge hammer... :smash:

Plugins I wanted were in the $400-500 range, but maybe they've lowered their prices since they've discontinued the rack mount version of the unit.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: SSL Duende: Does it work reliably today?

Post by James Steele »

Crazy, huh? Seems like hardware that interfaces with computers and requires software updates is risky. Meaning that if you buy a standalone vintage mic pre or something of that nature, your investment is likely safe. You buy a Duende or UAD card, you need to do so with your eyes open and do so because it will generate enough income to make it worthwhile. That's one reason why I haven't bought any plugs for my UAD-2 in ages.