Spatial audio designer (New audio Technology )

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Aramis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Spatial audio designer (New audio Technology )

Post by Aramis »

Hi Motunation ,
Anyone uses or tried the Spatial Audio Designer tool from New Audio Technology with Digital Performer ?

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
BKK-OZ

Re: Spatial audio designer (New audio Technology )

Post by BKK-OZ »

No - I had not heard of it until your post.

Interesting for those of us that work in surround.
There aren't many options when it comes to binaural or related multi-channel processing.
The price is a bit steep for me, I will continue to have to make do with HEar from Flux. I do note their 25% sale until the end of July. I might watch the videos later, I hope I am not tempted!

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/plug_ins/ircam_hear-v3

Have you tried it?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

BKK-OZ wrote:No - I had not heard of it until your post.

There aren't many options when it comes to binaural or related multi-channel processing.
The price is a bit steep for me, I will continue to have to make do with HEar from Flux. I do note their 25% sale until the end of July. I might watch the videos later, I hope I am not tempted!

Have you tried it?
Hello ! I am trying Hear right now and I got a problem

I have installed it in the insert of my master 5.1 output and I see audio in the output VUs in Hear but I cannot find where the is in Digital Performer ?

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

Aramis wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:No - I had not heard of it until your post.

Have you tried it?
Hello ! I am trying Hear right now and I got a problem

I have installed it in the insert of my master 5.1 output and I see audio in the output VUs in Hear but I cannot find where the stereo sound is in Digital Performer ?

Aramis
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I'm not 100% I undertand what you mean.

What dio your bundles look like
There should be inputs available to route into HEar.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

BKK-OZ wrote:I'm not 100% I undertand what you mean.

What dio your bundles look like
There should be inputs available to route into HEar.
The 5.1 input to hear is ok
I cannot hear the binaural stereo output ?
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Well, I admit that I have't used HEar for ages - but coincidental with your post, I have come to the point in a current project where I need to look at it again, and when I went to fire it up, I struggled to get it working.

First, when using the AU version, I couldn't get any input/output options, so I switched to the VST version, which did allow for changing input/output settings. (I have told Flux that there appears to be something wrong with their AU version.)

Then when I instantiated HEar on a stereo audio track and selected a 5.1 output setting, DP changed the panner and outputs to surround, but it seems to me that the output is still stereo.

So, that is a long way of saying 'I don't know'.

Are you putting HEar on a stereo track, or ???

I downloaded the demo of the Spatial Audio Designer, but the 'Send' plugin that you need to put on audio tracks to send audio to the 'Mix' plugin doesn't show up on my list of plugins.

Another option is http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Aramis

Post by Aramis »

BKK-OZ wrote:Well, I admit that I have't used HEar for ages - but coincidental with your post, I have come to the point in a current project where I need to look at it again, and when I went to fire it up, I struggled to get it working.

First, when using the AU version, I couldn't get any input/output options, so I switched to the VST version, which did allow for changing input/output settings. (I have told Flux that there appears to be something wrong with their AU version.)

Then when I instantiated HEar on a stereo audio track and selected a 5.1 output setting, DP changed the panner and outputs to surround, but it seems to me that the output is still stereo.

So, that is a long way of saying 'I don't know'.

Are you putting HEar on a stereo track, or ???

No, my plan is to hear my 5.1 session on a pair of headphone.
So, I install Hear on insert of my 5.1 master track
I do see my 5.1 audio signal inputs but I do not understand where goes the stereo output ?

And, after that exporting this stereo ( surround mix ) to let others hear what i did .

I downloaded the demo of the Spatial Audio Designer, but the 'Send' plugin that you need to put on audio tracks to send audio to the 'Mix' plugin doesn't show up on my list of plugins.

Another option is http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I don't know either - I will raise a question with Flux - they are pretty good at responding.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I finally heard back from Flux - all their engineers are on holidays (France in August=everyone takes holidays!) so it will be a few weeks before I get a reply.

In the meantime, those interested in spatial audio design might find the following link interesting. I found out about Auro 3d sound through Exponential Audio (who make 5.1 verbs and effects). They have an interesting concept, though it is AAX only right now: http://www.auro-3d.com/

Check out their videos for some quick explanations.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

For anyone else out there trying to get Flux's HEar to work in Digital Performer, please see following some instructions sent through from MOTU:
  • I believe I have found a workaround for this issue. Here is an example of setting up this plugin in 5.1:

1. Create six mono audio tracks and one aux track.
    2. Set the outputs of each mono audio track to Bus 1-6, respectively.
    3. Set the input of the aux track to Bus 1-6.
    4. Set the output of the aux track to a 5.1 surround bundle where the first two outputs are the ones you are monitoring from (i.e. headphones)
    5. Insert the AU plugin on the aux track.

This setup will feed the outputs of each audio track into the plugin on the aux. The plugin will then output a stereo track which is sent to the first two outputs of the surround output bundle. To create a surround bundle (which you will need to do for bus 1-6 and your 5.1 output bundle) go to the Bundles window. Select the Outputs tab. Click the "add" button. This will create a new bundle. Select the dropdown menu in the 'Model' column to set the bundle to 5.1.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku