Duplicate a sequence with virtual instruments

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
fatnack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Duplicate a sequence with virtual instruments

Post by fatnack »

Dear Community

I have a sequence which consists of MIDI tracks, audio tracks and virtual instrument tracks. I'd now like to duplicate this sequence. This works well, except that the instrument assignments get messed up (each instrument is assigned to one or more audio track's inputs).

I know that I can move these instruments to vracks, but for these instruments I don't want to (I might edit an instrument in the duplicated sequence, but want the old one to stay the same).

Could you give me any advice on this? Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Remo
stubbsonic

Re: Duplicate a sequence with virtual instruments

Post by stubbsonic »

Are you using "Duplicate Sequence" from the Chunks window mini menu?

I haven't had output assignments get messed up when I've used that function.

Are you using stereo busses to get from VI out to audio track input?

In the meantime, here are some useful shortcuts when dealing with the tedium of re-assigning tracks:

1. Select MIDI track(s)
2. SHIFT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output device/VI
3. OPTION-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output channel
4. SHIFT-OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to move selection to next track

Notice that you can select a group of tracks and change the device/VI and it will retain the MIDI channel setting. If you change the MIDI channel of multiple tracks it will nudge each channel setting up/down one-at-a-time relative to its previous value.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
doodles

Post by doodles »

stubbsonic wrote:1. Select MIDI track(s)
2. SHIFT-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output device/VI
3. OPTION-UP/DOWN ARROW to change output channel
4. SHIFT-OPT-UP/DOWN ARROW to move selection to next track
WOAH. stubbsonic, What the heck? How did I never know about this? (er, because I never read the manual?!)

THANKYOU!!! :D :D :D :D
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

fatnack wrote:Dear Community, I have a sequence which consists of MIDI tracks, audio tracks and virtual instrument tracks. I'd now like to duplicate this sequence.
Pretty straight up - - just go to the Chunks window, select (highlight) the Chunk you're working on, command-C (copy it), command-V (paste it) and you'll get a duplicate (including all of your stuff) in your chunks window.
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

doodles wrote:
WOAH. stubbsonic, What the heck? How did I never know about this? (er, because I never read the manual?!)

THANKYOU!!! :D :D :D :D
Yea. I went FAR too long without knowing those shortcuts. Those fall into the essentials category, for sure. Glad they helped you.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com