Latest Sample Modeling SWAM update -- how to get dynamics?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
minimidi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Latest Sample Modeling SWAM update -- how to get dynamic

Post by minimidi »

dave pine wrote:question about using latest SWAM MIDI with a expression pedal.... if you initially play a note quietly and continue to hold the note while increasing the exp velosity, does it get louder and more aggressive sounding? if it does, that'd be great... i think it's time to go buy an expression pedal
Yes, that is correct. You definitely can't play it without an expression controller of some sort. I think pedal is the least intuitive, if you try a breath controller you'll notice an immense improvement in playability and realism. Check the video below, it's a good explanation.

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Latest Sample Modeling SWAM update -- how to get dynamic

Post by mhschmieder »

Another trick is to map aftertouch to breath control. I find the aftertouch on Dave Smith's synths as well as the Arturia controllers to be extremely fine-grained (verifiable by using MIDI Monitor on the Mac) and MUCH easier for controlling expression on wind/brass than an expression pedal. Yo me it is more analogous to how I did in with my embouchure on the WX5.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH