Adding a tempo click to a non-quantized track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cowtothesky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Adding a tempo click to a non-quantized track

Post by cowtothesky »

Hi everyone,
I am wondering what the best technique is for adding a click track to a non-quantized performance. For example, I performed a piano track that I freely played without quantizing or keeping to a click track. Now, what I want to do is go back and have the sequence meter follow the tempo of that performance, rather than following a strict tempo. I don't want the music to sound rigid and lack the emotion.

I know there is a way to program tempo changes from the conductor track by programming ritards and tempo changes, but if I could just use a click pad or something to follow my performance, I think it would be easier and faster.

Do any of you do this kind of thing and, if so, offer some tips?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
b.g.

Re: Adding a tempo click to a non-quantized track

Post by b.g. »

I would use Adjust Beats.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

There's a five part series on YouTube MOTU TV that will show you how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/motuTV/videos
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've done this a fair number of times using tap tempo. Haven't used it in a while and seem to recall it was broken at some point. Here's the instructions on the MOTU site for DP 4:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... 2186229314
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Also, Shooshie contributed to the following page with important info. Search the page for "tap tempo."

http://fatlab.com/blog/2009/10/28/dp6-b ... rformer-7/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I suspect the OP is talking about an audio recording of a piano track.

But just out of curiosity, does the process differ if the track was a MIDI track vs. an AUDIO track?

I would think in any case it would be wise to create a duplicate chunk to keep the original intact.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've tried various approaches. The one I like best:

1) record a basic track without clicks etc.

2) record a second track, MIDI track with a hi hat (or similar) sound that plays along with track one, and shows clear transients.

3) adjust the positions of the MIDI event of this second track as much as you want to get it right, (even putting some events where you think the beats on the first track ought to be, rather than where they actually sit -- later you can quantize some or all of the original track).

4) Do adjust beats using the second track.

One reason I like this approach better is that your original track, unless it is very simple is going to have a lot of places where transients are less than obvious, while the second track will show them clearly. Another is that your final click need not be linked to exact positions on the first track. Sometimes, that's the way you want it, sometimes you want something to quantize the original track to, other than itself.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

+1, bayswater.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
magicd

Post by magicd »

+2 bayswater, especially for a solo rubato instrument.

Dave
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

For the record, I think this is a DP strength. It's very difficult to get right, and keep things sounding musical. DP gets a lot closer than Logic and Cubase, neither of which deal with unquantized material and variable tempo well (IMO).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:I've tried various approaches. The one I like best:

1) record a basic track without clicks etc.

2) record a second track, MIDI track with a hi hat (or similar) sound that plays along with track one, and shows clear transients.

3) adjust the positions of the MIDI event of this second track as much as you want to get it right, (even putting some events where you think the beats on the first track ought to be, rather than where they actually sit -- later you can quantize some or all of the original track).

4) Do adjust beats using the second track.

One reason I like this approach better is that your original track, unless it is very simple is going to have a lot of places where transients are less than obvious, while the second track will show them clearly. Another is that your final click need not be linked to exact positions on the first track. Sometimes, that's the way you want it, sometimes you want something to quantize the original track to, other than itself.
+3 Bayswater.

However, if I may, there's a way to avoid the monotony and tediousness of point 4, especially if it's a long complicated piece.
This trick was taught to me by member B.G., and it's quite clever.

Summarizing:
You create a hardware MIDI loop.
If you drag to a new track some of the notes of the original MIDI performance, you can use RECORD BEATS in "automatic mode", so you don't need to do the tapping yourself. You do this by fooling DP... Once you have the (hardware) MIDI loop set, and the necessary notes in the "fool" track, all you have to do is solo the track, invoke record beats, play the sequence and lay back in your chair as you watch DP doing ALL the work for you, with the utmost precision. Each note in this scratch track will be a tap in Record Beats mode.
You can do this by sections, depending on the music.

For this to work, you need to know what notes to copy to the new track (notes that fall on the beat, or even all of them, or maybe 16th notes). It depends on how you want CT to click and how much detail you need. You can always change the way the CT clicks, and you can change the notation by messing with Scale Tempo and Scale Time commands afterwards if necessary.

It has helped me enormously, and it is pretty cool 8)

You can find all the details here, if you're interested:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... op#p301302

Now, if the Extract Tempo from MIDI command worked as it's supposed to, none of this would be necessary, but unfortunately, that command has been broken since at least DP4, and MOTU seems to have forgotten all about it.

MOTU, PLEASE fix the Extract Tempo from MIDI command!!!
:unicorn:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I just found a very old video I had done demonstrating the above technique, and also showing how the Extract Tempo from MIDI command did NOT work then.

In this particular example I taped the "tapped" notes as I played the melody, but the same can be achieved by selecting the right notes from the performance and dragging those to the special MIDI loop track.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ct#p353730
Last edited by FMiguelez on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Thanks everyone! You have given me a lot to try out. Yea, it is a MIDI track. I just turned the click off and played it on piano with emotion and tempo fluctuations. I may or may not keep the piano and just build full orchestra around the tempo and melody. But, I wasn't sure how to easily record the conductor to follow it. I have done non-quantized many times before, but I have never adjusted the tempo to actually follow it.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:For the record, I think this is a DP strength. It's very difficult to get right, and keep things sounding musical. DP gets a lot closer than Logic and Cubase, neither of which deal with unquantized material and variable tempo well (IMO).
You are correct, at least in regard to Logic. I kind of assume that Cubase is similar, but I have no experience with it. Logic has features for mapping beats to unquantized material, but compared to DP it feels like a Fisher-Price toy. It's been a few years since I've done that, so I guess it could have gotten better. If not, then DP is way out in front of the competition in this regard.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|