5.1 Mixes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Simsy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

5.1 Mixes

Post by Simsy »

Hi

So far I have only had to deliver stereo mixes but my last two projects I was asked to deliver a 5.1 music mix. I have finally bite the bullet and bought another 3 speakers and a sub. I write music for TV and film, so my music is mainly samples with some live instruments added.

All the sample libraries are stereo, although my spitfire libraries have close, tree, ambient and outriggers mics so I could maybe use them?

I also have Altiverb XL which allows surround. So I was wondering how should I use my stereo sample libraries in a surround scenario?

Thanks for any advice!
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 5.1 Mixes

Post by BKK-OZ »

You can use the surround panners with stereo inputs (ala Arc Panner).

You can also look @ tools like Mach 5 and Absynth, which are surround capable.
The latter offers a bunch of options for surround work.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku