East/West Platinum Orchestra Problems.....?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
darrell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

East/West Platinum Orchestra Problems.....?

Post by darrell »

A question: I have an early 2008 Mac Pro, with 18 gigs of ram. My Platinum Orchestra files are on an SSD drive (new to me, and great!). I'm wondering if there is something I've overlooked as to loading the 24-bit samples onto my computer instead of the 16-bit. Instruments like trumpets (especially) and violins in the upper registers are screechy. I've tried running the project in 24- and 32-bit float. Any ideas? Although I personally am generally pleased with my "Play" productes, if what I have is what I'm supposed to get, it isn't very pleasing. Also, when I originally copied all the files from the older hard disk to the SSD and played them back, I think I noticed a degradation. Ideas?
Shooshie

Re: East/West Platinum Orchestra Problems.....?

Post by Shooshie »

I'm not sure what's going on there, but did you format your SSD to Mac Extended?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
darrell

Post by darrell »

Yeah, extended journaled. i'm thinking my golden ears just don't think 24-bit is good enough.....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

darrell wrote:Yeah, extended journaled. i'm thinking my golden ears just don't think 24-bit is good enough.....
And you're absolutely right. 64 bit audio sounds like it is delivered on angel's wings. The kind of angel that floats around Victoria's Secret. Gotta have it.

And I'm totally BS'ing you, as I've never even heard 64 bit audio, but I'm sure it has its followers.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
darrell

Post by darrell »

arf arf
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I recently read a report from Steven Wilson, who's been remixing/mastering a bunch of old Yes and King Crimson material, raving about how he's going to be releasing it in all its 32bit/88.1kHz glory in ALAC format. I read this just days after reading a bit by Bob Katz stating that in most cases higher bitrates on final delivery can be worse because all but the very best of DACs don't process it correctly, many downconverting it poorly first.

*facepalm*

...I think I just lost the last remaining bit of respect I had for Wilson... not that I had much to begin with.

Seriously, I have no argument about recording, mixing and mastering as high as you can possibly go, lots of processes will benefit from the added resolution/headroom, but don't convince me that it's a better consumer delivery method!

PS: aren't 24bit samples kind of irrelevant for samplers? I thought the only benefit for 24bit was the added headroom. Presumably all the samples are well below the digital maximum anyway, and since the engine is 32bit float, the moment they're triggered they're in a high bitrate environment. I can hear an argument for increased samplerate, but I'm trying to get my head around what the actual benefit 24bit samples would have... wouldn't the files just contain a bunch of redundant zeros?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy