Upgrade Questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
whonozz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Upgrade Questions

Post by whonozz »

I’m now using DP 5.11 running on a MacPro / Dual-Core IntelXeon / 2.66GHz w/OSX 10.4.11 (Yes, I know, I’m back in the “Stone Age”). For my needs this old computer still rocks with 3 extra internal 10,000rpm Raptor HD’s (one for audio and the other 2 for VI libraries.

I can accomplish everything I need to do right now on 5.11 because I’ve been using it so long I know my way around it with no questions. I’ve had a look at DP 8 and notice quite a bit of screens differences, with missing or moved drop down windows etc. I really don’t want to spend lots of time poring over manuals in order to learn DP8 and to get back up to the working speed I’m use to now. Am I wrong about how different 8 will be compared to 5.11? Also, I know I have to upgrade my OS to 10.6.8. in order to purchase almost any newer VI’s and plugins.

Any advice?
MacPro dual 2.66 w/5GB RAM / OS 10.4.11 / DP5.11 / Raptor & Glyph HD's / Symphony PCIe w/Rosetta800 / UAD1e/AT5/Kontakt2/EW Colossus & PercussiveAdventures2/EZdrummer/Peak5 / ADL600/UA 2-1176 /AlphaTrack/CentralStation /NHTPro
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Upgrade Questions

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd upgrade to at least DP7. I'm pretty sure MOTU allows access to those updates. You'll have to get used to the new location of some stuff but you'll be processing things much faster and will eventually become fluent in the new GUI. I think it'll be well worth it given the improvements in general.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't think there's a big learning curve from 5 to 8. Most of the changes that affect workflow are a result of making DP conform with OS X standards, so you have to get used to using the mini menus at the upper right corner of the windows, and using standard OS X navigation methods rather than the older methods that were specific to DP.

That said, you made a good case for not updating. Is there anything you wish 5.11 could do, or do better? You can look at the PDFs that list the changes for each update. They're all on the MOTU site in the downloads section. If you look at these 4 files you'll get a complete update history. (Don't buy V6. Like MLC says, go at least to V7.24).

New_Features_in_DP_5.13.pdf
New_Features_in_DP_6.03.pdf
New_Features_in_DP_7.24.pdf
DP806readme.pdf
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

In a way, I did that, 5.13 to 8. Since 8 wasn't yet available, I got 7.24 and converted many projects while waiting for 8 to ship. Many were able to buy both versions together. I can imagine that, at some point, MOTU will run out of manuals but, till then...

The advantage is that 7.24 kept/keeps certain things working that weren't / still aren't 64bit compatible. Having both keeps you from having to switch DP 8 from 32bit to 64 while you sort out the transition.

You old projects should open in both but it's a safe bet that some of your current 3rd party plugs and possibly even some hardware won't be compatible with 8-64. In addition if you used Bounce to a Disk to create mp3s or certain functions such as polarity reversal, you will need to adapt to a few changes. Otherwise, DP is still DP. Oh yea, Bounce to Disk has moved - no biggie, you'll find it.

There is still a transition going on although with SampleTank 3 coming out in a couple weeks, Antares vocal suite 2 months ago and Stillwell 3 soon, it's just about over for me and 7.24 will be history.

It is a good idea to stay with OS 10.6.8 while you are working through this transition.

A couple more things, if your files were created on another Mac than this one, they may not open properly in 7.24. Don't panic, some of us have been there and know what to do.

When it comes time to uninstall DP 5, it will totally screw up 7.24 and slightly mess up 8. Again, don't panic. Run the 7.24 uninstaller from the CD, then reinstall. There's no uninstaller with 8, you just run the installer again.

I really liked 5.13. Oh, I'll never go back to it but it was a great version of DP (I owned but hated 6). 5.12 was a major free update and 5.13 was a final tweak.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro