Overdub Continous Controller

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
fatnack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Overdub Continous Controller

Post by fatnack »

Dear Community

I have recorded several MIDI tracks, which all have continous controller data (CC1/11) and note information. I'd now like to make a second recording pass, where I overwrite just the continous controller data. Is there a way of using overdub just for CC1/11? Or do I have to manually remove these CC information on all the tracks before I record? And if so, is there any automated way of doing this? Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Remo
FMiguelez

Re: Overdub Continous Controller

Post by FMiguelez »

The View Filter and the Automation Setup commands are your friends for this kind of stuff.

You can quickly select all CCs from a track by double clicking on any point.

If you assign CC11 to something like your modwheel, it should be easy to overdub it. Use one of the mixer's record automation modes for this.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Re: Overdub Continous Controller

Post by Shooshie »

fatnack wrote:Dear Community

I have recorded several MIDI tracks, which all have continous controller data (CC1/11) and note information. I'd now like to make a second recording pass, where I overwrite just the continous controller data. Is there a way of using overdub just for CC1/11? Or do I have to manually remove these CC information on all the tracks before I record? And if so, is there any automated way of doing this? Thanks a lot.

Cheers
Remo

I've done this for years using a certain process that I find convenient, but others may not like it at all:
  • • First, I make a "similar" track by selecting the main track then typing CONTROL-COMMAND-S, which makes a "Similar" track. That is, it's a duplicate of the track as far as inputs and outputs go, but it contains no data. Let's call that the Scratch Track.
    • Next, I select all the controller 11 data (or controller 2, or whatever I'm going to be working with) by double clicking on one point of that data. It will select all of that data type.
    • Now, in the Tracks Overview Window, let's drag the Controller 11 data to the Scratch Track. Here's how: Hold down the Command Key and click on one of the little selected points in the original track and drag that to the Scratch Track (it can be hard to see these selected points, so be careful not to deselect. Holding the SHIFT key down in addition to the Command key will help prevent deselecting. So, now we have the MIDI Note data in the original track, and Controller 11 in the Scratch Track. You can use any method you want to get the Controller 11 data out of the original track and into the scratch track. Just be careful that it pastes or drags to the same time location.
    Open the Input Filter. Set it up so that it ONLY records Controller 11.
    • Now create a new take. Play back the original track while recording in the Scratch Track, and you've got a whole new "take" of Controller 11.
    • You can continue making new takes until you get one you like.
    • When you're done, you may optionally drag the controller data back to the original track and delete the Scratch Track. It's up to you.
Sounds more complicated than it is. The tricky part that most people don't get is dragging only the Controller 11 data while in the Tracks Overview Window. It's not hard to do once you try it. Why do I use the Tracks Overview for this step? Because it makes it easy to drag it to the same location in the Scratch Track. Holding down the COMMAND key makes it possible to select or drag less than an entire bar or phrase in that window.

Sometimes I use another trick to make it easy to cut & paste the controller data. First, I duplicate a controller and drag that duplicate to 1/1/000. This control point is going to be your "anchor" so that it's easy to paste the controllers to the right place. Double-click it. Now you've selected all of that controller type, including the anchor. Cut it, then go to the Scratch Track and paste it in so that it begins on bar 1/1/000. Once it's in place, you can delete the anchor.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|