Bass arpeggiators?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
banditblack
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Bass arpeggiators?

Post by banditblack »

I have Trilian for my bass sound in my rig and love the natural bass sounds available. I'd like to use the excellent arpeggiator with it to trigger bass grooves and fills in mostly blues context but the presets that exist seem to all be geared toward a "synth bass". Is anybody using arpeggiators for this use, and can you give me some advice? Are they available for download or purchase?
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bass arpeggiators?

Post by David Polich »

There are, as you have discovered, plenty of synth bass arpeggiators but very little in the
way of electric bass arpeggiators, which is what I think you're asking for.

The answer to your question is - no, not really. The very nature of electric bass playing kind
of precludes using arpeggios, and here's why - electric and acoustic bass parts usually belong in rock, jazz, blues, r&b, funk, pop and country genres, and they're almost always non-repetitive. Bass players tend to think in a linear fashion, even if they are playing a "pattern", Certainly, you'd never find a robotic repeating pattern in an old-school jazz tune.
it's always changed up somewhat from section to section.

Bass players aren't machines and can't play 100% quantized parts..not in this universe, anyway. Machines can - enter sequencers and synthesizers.

Quantized arpeggiated parts work best with synth basses and in electronic music styles (house, techno, drum'n'bass, trip-hop, garage, EDM, IDM, etc.). I call these parts "sequenced"
bass lines and they work because they lend themselves to synthesizer bass sounds.

My advice is to forget about finding arpeggios that work with electric bass, and just "roll your
own" bass parts.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:Bass players aren't machines and can't play 100% quantized parts..not in this universe, anyway.
Funny you should say that. I remember watching a short video of John Entwistle at a recording session years ago. His bass was clamped in a stand. He walked up to it and seeming to barely touch it, played a quick riff with such precision and clarity that I couldn't help but think he himself was quantized. (But not arpeggiated...)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Entwistle was the exception to every rule. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Why can't you use DP's arpeggiator MIDI plug?
It ain't pretty but it works.
It would be nice if MOTU would slap a decent GUI on those dialog box MIDI plugs (especially the arp) but I seem to be the only one interested in that.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not enough information. What are you trying to accomplish? You tell us how you want to do it but not what you want to do.

Let's start with the basic question: Live performance or studio recording?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Nothing wrong with using an arpeggiator on facsimiles of acoustic and non-synth sounds. As mentioned, there are ways to get it there. Some keyboards have arps built in. DP's plug, as Phil mentioned. Kontakt probably has a script for an arp that could be used.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
banditblack

Post by banditblack »

So it sounds like I would be able, using the motu trigger, to convert any aiff file(say garageband bass grooves) into MIDI ? Then I can drag-and-drop into Trilian's arpeggiator. Anyone done it?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Mike is right. You still haven't given enough information.

For live playing? And are the samples you are talking about multi-note riffs or single notes?

This all can get really messy. If you really describe what you want to do, we might be able to advise you on an easier way to get it done. It is entirely possible you REALLY want to do this the hard way.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

banditblack wrote:So it sounds like I would be able, using the motu trigger, to convert any aiff file(say garageband bass grooves) into MIDI ? Then I can drag-and-drop into Trilian's arpeggiator. Anyone done it?
AIFF to MIDI? There's no plugin I know of that does that. Well, I take that back. Melodyne and its ilk can do that. MOTU's pitch layer in the Sequence Editor can do that, but those are somewhat limited in what they can do, and it's rarely a simple matter of pushing a button and out pops your MIDI. It's more like you have to work with the pitch indicators and get them consistent and whole, then you can extract MIDI from them which will need some cleaning up in order to be usable.

But there's no trigger plugin or anything else that I know of that can just convert AIFF to MIDI. I mean, not by MOTU. There may be some 3rd party plugin that works to varying degrees, but again, I think we're talking about Melodyne and MOTU's pitch layer.

At this point I can't figure out exactly what you're trying to do, so I'm not going to comment further.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Converting AIFF to MIDI, maybe no. But generating MIDI from a sound being played, yes.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Oh, is he talking about using audio to trigger MIDI? (Not convert.)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

We're all guessing. Using Trigger and then Arpeggiator plugins would seem to do it, but I don't know enough about Trillian to close the loop, so to speak.

I don't know why you wouldn't just play a MIDI note, real time or recorded, through Arpeggiator, and have the output play a bass VI. Why is the fact that it's a bass an issue? Why does it matter if it's live or recorded? Isn't this just a standard MIDI thing?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

You can also experiment with articulation and phrasing without a lot of effort by only notating the actual note changes, and using the Pattern Gate to play with the lengths and spaces of notes. I'll do this sometimes with a synth bass part, where I'm likely to go for simpler note movement than on a bass guitar anyway (although I can think of one part I did that spanned almost four octaves :-)).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
banditblack

Post by banditblack »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions...you guys are well above my experience level with DP and available technology, so sorry I posted my question because I love the sounds available in Trilian, but I can't find any good MIDI bass grooves of the quality of "EZKeys" for piano and "Superior Drummer"

1: Since Trilian says I can drag-and-drop a MIDI file into the apeggiator, I thought if I could capture an audio groove and convert it to MIDI, I could create a bunch of presets that could utilize the "sqeeks" and "slides", etc. available to me.

2: On my rp-1000 guitar processor, I can record using a patch that lowers the pitch and tries to emulate a bass. Since the sound is not good, I thought if I could convert it to MIDI, I could use the much superior sounds in Trilian.

This would not be for live, just recording at this point. DP 7.