DP5 - Best way to "comp" or quickly audition multiple takes?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
TheDudeAbides
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP5 - Best way to "comp" or quickly audition multiple takes?

Post by TheDudeAbides »

I took a look at the tips sheet which had some good info but was wondering if anyone would care to chime in about my issue. I was tracking a vocalist the other day and recorded several takes on the same track. He wanted to hear the last 3 takes and I struggled to quickly find the correct soundbite for each one and load it on to the track. In the past I would set up multiple tracks but that can be a lot of work and take up unnecessary room in the project. If anyone has some info or advice it would be greatly appreciated. I know the later versions of DP have the "comp tool", but I was just wondering how to achieve something similar in DP5. Thanks!
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP5 - Best way to "comp" or quickly audition multiple ta

Post by NazRat »

I might not be getting this, but can't you just change the take in either the take drop down selection in the Sequence Editor or the take column in the Tracks Overview?
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

NazRat wrote:I might not be getting this, but can't you just change the take in either the take drop down selection in the Sequence Editor or the take column in the Tracks Overview?
Yes, that's all you have to do. But perhaps the OP did not use the Takes feature during recording. You can just record several takes on a track and they will cover each other up, and be difficult to find. Reading up on Takes, and using them as designed makes it a lot easier.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TheDudeAbides

Post by TheDudeAbides »

Thanks for the info. I had never used the "takes" feature but it seems to do pretty much what I need.