Crazy ass idea using Boot Camp & DP or DP 8?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crazy ass idea using Boot Camp & DP or DP 8?

Post by Gravity Jim »

Mike, I was referring to the DM3200 with the IF/FW-DMmkII 32 channels FireWire interface and the MU1000 meter bridge. You can trick a DM3200 all the way out for that price... That's about what I paid for mine and it's been an incredible value.

James, I knew you guys ended up working directly with the programmer who wrote the driver.... To avoid any third-party confusion, I linked to the threads over here a couple of times. But I don't think they took the hint, and I think they still don't understand that the FW1884 was designed by Frontier and probably very little engineering was done in-house at Tascam.

The 828 may be discontinued, but virtually identical products with hardware improvements are still in MOTU's line, all of MOTU's engineering is in-house and the driver for an interface would be considerably less complicated than for a combination interface/control surface. If it was expensive, difficult, or simply beyond their control to continue driver support for the 828, MOTU would drop it, too.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:The 828 may be discontinued, but virtually identical products with hardware improvements are still in MOTU's line, all of MOTU's engineering is in-house and the driver for an interface would be considerably less complicated than for a combination interface/control surface. If it was expensive, difficult, or simply beyond their control to continue driver support for the 828, MOTU would drop it, too.
Understood Jim. But what MOTU does that makes it possible for them to support their products -- that's basic good product management practise.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

bayswater - you mean like never introducing a control surface. :)

To the OP: too bad you're in Texas. This is a nice rig for pennies.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/4539660369.html
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:bayswater - you mean like never introducing a control surface. :)
Nice dig. But, when supply lines are unreliable, technology is proprietary to someone you have no relationship with, and a load of other ducks are not in a row, that's what it means. In other cases, companies have cut corners by hard wiring things that should be open to modification by driver updates, making their equipment obsolete sooner than necessary. But when it comes to MOTU control surfaces, I suspect it's a marketing and finance decision.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nutotech

Post by nutotech »

Gravity Jim wrote:bayswater - you mean like never introducing a control surface. :)

To the OP: too bad you're in Texas. This is a nice rig for pennies.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/4539660369.html
Holy moly, Gravity Jim! That IS one sweet deal! AND it has the firewire card. You're running in 64 bit mode with no problems? And you're using it for MIDI?

Updated to Lion/added SSDs/expanded to 32GB RAM over the weekend and everything is running swimmingly. Only two issues with DM3200: 1). real estate--have only 36-40" width and maybe 36" max depth. 2). 64 bit compatibility.

Watching one on eBay around same price but it's local pickup only. :-( Seems like the way to go. At this point, $2K+ may well be the price to join the 64 Bit Club.
"To infinity and Beyonce!"
Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6 core, 32 Mb RAM, UAD-2, Tascam FW-1884, Hafler monitors and sub, too many sample libraries. And always buying more.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes, I am running the Tascam console and FireWire driver in 64-bit boot, and running 32-channels of 24-bit/96K audio down one FireWire cable. I also run the USB MIDI cable for the control surface functions which work just swell. I do hybrid mixing (most effects and some summing ITB, most summing and a few effects OTB) and it sounds great. The only unit with similar functionality I could find at the time I bought mine was a $20K SSL. SSL makes a unit now for under 6K that lost some of the function the older unit had, and Focusrite makes a widely praised thing called the Control 2802 that is reported to sound awesome but would have require some screwing around to get worked into my joint.

But the Tascam is the value leader. It sounds great, it is so infinitely flexible that most new users scratch their heads until someone points out that you can essentially route anything to anything, the built in automation is sweet, the EQ sounds good.... I love mine. It's become a transparent tool in my work flow.

Check the Tascam forum for info. A good group of guys making some very nice sounding records.
Jim Bordner

nutotech

Post by nutotech »

Gravity Jim wrote:Yes, I am running the Tascam console and FireWire driver in 64-bit boot, and running 32-channels of 24-bit/96K audio down one FireWire cable. I also run the USB MIDI cable for the control surface functions which work just swell. I do hybrid mixing (most effects and some summing ITB, most summing and a few effects OTB) and it sounds great.
I'm vacillating like a school girl on promo night, Jim. ;-) There is a petition.org thing happening asking Tascam/Pioneer to write a Mac OS 64 bit driver for FW-1884. Over 500 signatures thus far--found on the Tascam forum. If every person donated $5 there'd be $2,500 for some developer to spend a couple days writing the darn thing! Question is: will this petition have any affect? Do I continue in 32 bit til then? Or bite the bullet and drop $2K (found a couple things on eBay) for DM-3200 w/firewire card?

My Tascam is so literally my "right hand man." Sits arms length to my right and handles SO many things--essential to my work flow.

So you can run MIDI, interface transport for record/playback/scrub, mark/find locate points, auto mix in DP with the faders/knobs and feed the studio & control room in all sorts of configurations with DM-3200? Is it Firewire 400 or have they upgraded to 800? Would love to just plug the sucker in, install the drivers, tweak Audio-MIDI Setup and be back to work in an environment I've been using for over 10 years.
"To infinity and Beyonce!"
Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6 core, 32 Mb RAM, UAD-2, Tascam FW-1884, Hafler monitors and sub, too many sample libraries. And always buying more.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Is it Firewire 400 or have they upgraded to 800?
It's FW400 but that's not an issue. The bandwidth is way more than adequate.

Here's the manual:

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/pro ... nual_E.pdf

Although it mentions DP 5.1, there's a 32/64 bit Mac driver here:

http://tascam.com/product/if-fw-dmmkii/downloads/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Depending on what Mac OS you're running, you'll probably want to use the current beta driver (available at the Tascam Forum). I've been running it fur a year and it's release ready.

As for the petition, I wish them the best of luck... But I've told those guys twice to emulate the Motunation's approach to getting their Frontier units working again, and they don't seem to get it.

I understand the footprint issue... I didn't buy the DM4800 because the 3200 had an almost identical footprint to the Yamaha 02R it replaced.
Jim Bordner