String Studio VS-2 is now available

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

String Studio VS-2 is now available

Post by Tritonemusic »

I'm quite fond of the original version of this thing, but haven't upgraded to the new one yet. Only $29 if purchased by July 1st since I already have the previous version. I have no connection with the company other than being a customer. I just think it sounds really cool and is quite versatile and unique.

It's also quite exciting to see that they've added a microtonal feature.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/strin ... -vs-2/#buy
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
cuttime

Re: String Studio VS-2 is now available

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for this - I'm on the AAS mailing list but did not hear about it until now. I'll be checking it out.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, I mentioned this in the "32-bit plugs" thread, feeling it might not hold enough interest to warrant its own thread. :-)

I'm doing the upgrade when I get home tonight. I haven't used it in a project yet, but use Ultra Analog all the time, and in general find AAS products very musical and fun.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Agreed. AAS VI's = musical. Decent presets cover a wide array of sounds. Easy to tweak. Good interface. Looks like they are keeping the same Ultra Analog look for this as well.

Worth trying the demo if you haven't messed with it yet.

It does remind me of Sculpture. String Studio is a less versatile that Sculpture in terms of the model itself. But now that v2 lets you use custom scales, 64-bit, and seems to have filled in some other necessaries.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, I didn't notice the custom scales feature! That will help when I'm doing music in Turkish or Indian genres.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

mhschmieder wrote:Oh, I didn't notice the custom scales feature! That will help when I'm doing music in Turkish or Indian genres.
It is a pleasant surprise, indeed. 8)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I tried the demo for ten minutes and decided to buy it. All I really care about is the bowed
patches, and that it delivers quite well. Double a sampled cello or violin with the equivalent
sound from String Studio, and you get a "hyper-real" cello or violin. Also great for adding
extra "rosin" and bite to sampled string sections. Just what the doc ordered, as far as I'm
concerned.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Bumping this up because since upgrading to Mavericks, SS VS-2 no longer functions in DP 7.24. I re-installed DP, and VS-2, re-scanned all audio units. Oddly enough, VS-1 still works fine. The standalone version of VS-2 also works fine.

I booted off my Snow Leo (10.6.8 ) partition, and the VS-2 audio unit works fine in DP, so this appears to be a Mavericks issue.

I'm awaiting AAS customer support, but in the meantime I wonder if anyone else can duplicate the problem.

TIA

UPDATE- AAS response, I guess this is the last word:

Indeed, it is the combination of Digital Performer 7 and String Studio
VS-2 on OS X Mavericks. MOTU confirmed us that the problem is with
Digital Performer 7. And unfortunately they won't fix it – their
suggested work around is to upgrade to Digital Performer 8. I'm really
sorry – there's nothing we can do about it.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31