CPU Optimization

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mal201
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CPU Optimization

Post by mal201 »

Hey all,

Well for the first time in life with DP since version 6 I'm running into CPU issues. To be fair, this is the first time I've put together a project this big with live drums. I've got about 22 audio tracks with 6 sub mixes before hitting the master. Most tracks have one or two plugs on them but half a dozen have 4 or 5. This doesn't seem like enough to choke my system. I'm humming along at about 50% CPU but every now and again it spikes and I get all kinds of noise.

Most plugins I'm using are Waves. I've got lots of the NLS all over the tracks with a smattering of Schleps 73' or the API as EQ and the mcdsp 6030 for compressors. I had some UAD Neve stuff in there as well but I swapped them out for the 73 just cause I thought maybe the UAD plugs where stopping DP's auto rendering I still get the same results.

My system is a macbook pro 2GHz i7 quad core with 8 gigs ram, DP8 and a UAD Apollo Twin. The buffer size is 1024 (the max) I've got a few UAD plates on FX sends but that shouldn't cause any issues.

Am I just over my head with a 3 year old laptop or is there a way to optimize this setup better for mixing.

Thanks as always.

-Matt
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: CPU Optimization

Post by James Steele »

One thing I'd be wondering about is if your project and all the audio files are residing on your boot drive along with the OS? How many RPM is the drive your using. I know on laptops sometimes it's only 5400? A lot of times it's a good idea to be using a different drive for audio. Just thinking out loud here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mal201

Post by mal201 »

Yep, Audio is on an external 7800 rpm FW 800 Drive. One thing I thought of is as the song developed from demo to final project I put different versions as different sequence chunks. Are all the sequences running simultaneously? Is there a way to export a sequence into a new file?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Multiple sequence chunks should not be a problem, just play enable the one you are working on, but do you have any play enabled V-Rack chunks that are not being used, particularly V-Racks with VIs?

As for the UAD, I'd have thought it better to use it more, rather than less, particularly because it is not using the same bus as your hard drive, unless the UAD meter is saying that it's maxed out.

If all else fails, you probably have to start printing tracks with their effects. Your mac is not that different from mine, and I would expect mine to get close to the edge with the project you describe.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mal201

Post by mal201 »

How do I make sure that the other sequences are not play enabled. I don't have any V-racks enabled. The first few sequences have a Kontakt instance or two but they are just on a track.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the UAD plugs are a double edged sword. They take all the processing off the computer, but any plugs after them can't take advantage of the pre-rendering can they? I'd love to balance the load of mixing between UAD and my machine but if I can't pre-render anything after the EQ I kinda loose as much as I gain right?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mal201 wrote:How do I make sure that the other sequences are not play enabled. I don't have any V-racks enabled. The first few sequences have a Kontakt instance or two but they are just on a track.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the UAD plugs are a double edged sword. They take all the processing off the computer, but any plugs after them can't take advantage of the pre-rendering can they? I'd love to balance the load of mixing between UAD and my machine but if I can't pre-render anything after the EQ I kinda loose as much as I gain right?
Have a look at the Chunk window (Shift-C). It will tell you what is play enabled and let you change the status. For the most part, only one Sequence will be play enabled at once. Yes, UAD plugs have tradeoffs, but it's not likely that the losses exceed the gains until you get to the point where the UAD is overloaded.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
magicd

Post by magicd »

mal201 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but the UAD plugs are a double edged sword. They take all the processing off the computer, but any plugs after them can't take advantage of the pre-rendering can they? I'd love to balance the load of mixing between UAD and my machine but if I can't pre-render anything after the EQ I kinda loose as much as I gain right?
UAD plugs certainly do use CPU power. The audio signals still need to get in and out of those plugs.

Pre-rendering doesn't work for aux tracks. Pre rendering only works on audio tracks.

You are running a fairly heavy load of plugs. Not the number of plugs per se, but the ones you are using are more hungry than simpler plugs (bravo!).

I think the suggestion to print audio tracks with plugs is probably the most practical for your situation. Use the Freeze function. This will print the plugs (and any automation) to a new track. The original track will still be in the sequence but will be disabled. If you want to continue to work with track automation (volume, pan, sends, mutes), disable automation before the freeze, and then copy any automation data from the original track to the freeze track. If you want to keep some plugs live but don't mind printing others, bypass the plugs you want to keep live before the freeze, then copy those plugs to the new freeze track.

Dave
mal201

Post by mal201 »

Thanks Dave I had a few other questions about pre-rendering.

1) If I have a UAD Plug on a track can that pre-render since it's processed via the card?
2) I thought I read somewhere that the built in MAS plugs that come with DP don't support pre-rendering. Is that correct. Granted the only built in DP plug I use regular is the precision delay.
3) If either of the above are true and I have two plugs that support pre rendering followed by a plug that does not do the first two pre-render?

I hope those questions made sense. And thanks for all the help. I think freezing will be necessary especially for things like the precision delay and the few instances of trigger I'm using, but I still want to find a way to optimize this whole system as much as possible.

-Matt
magicd

CPU Optimization

Post by magicd »

Thanks Dave I had a few other questions about pre-rendering.

1) If I have a UAD Plug on a track can that pre-render since it's processed via the card?
As far as I know yes, although I've seen problems with pre rendering turned on with UAD plugs. That may be working now. Pre rendering is not a MOTU spec. It's part of the Apple AU spec.
2) I thought I read somewhere that the built in MAS plugs that come with DP don't support pre-rendering. Is that correct.
Not correct. All stock MOTU plugs support pre rendering.
3) If either of the above are true and I have two plugs that support pre rendering followed by a plug that does not do the first two pre-render?
No, but again, pre rendering is part of the AU spec. I don't know of any currently available AU plugs that don't support pre rendering.

Also, FYI, if the plug-in window is open, it's running in real time.

Dave
mal201

Post by mal201 »

As always thanks for the info Dave. It's a pleasure to have you on this board with us.
magicd

Post by magicd »

mal201 wrote:As always thanks for the info Dave. It's a pleasure to have you on this board with us.
An honor to be of service sir! :headbang:

Dave