SampleTank3 PreOrder

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SampleTank3 PreOrder

Post by James Steele »

Looks like IK is no taking preorders for SampleTank 3 which they say will ship by the end of July. It's "as low as $99." Looks like I owned SampleTank 2 XT not XL, so my upgrade price is $149. Probably reasonable, but I'm up to my eyeballs in soft samplers and SampleTank 2 XT is working just swimmingly in 32 Lives.

Bad, bad 32 Lives. Seems it's eliminating 64-bit compatibility as driving the need to buy upgrades for a lot of my plugs. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Re: SampleTank3 PreOrder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah I got too busy to post that; don't even remember if I got the notice last night or this morning, but I stepped on it right away. $99 for loyal customers. 33 GB of samples, and what looks to be some very thorough sessions with world instruments and other oft-neglected categories.

The interface is very powerful. Still not very good-looking in my opinion, but easy to follow. The synth-style editing page is particularly appealing and may make this a preferred platform for some developers.

In short, this MAY be a game-changer vis a vis Kontakt, but probably isn't as powerful feature-wise as MachFive.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:Yeah I got too busy to post that; don't even remember if I got the notice last night or this morning, but I stepped on it right away. $99 for loyal customers. 33 GB of samples, and what looks to be some very thorough sessions with world instruments and other oft-neglected categories.

The interface is very powerful. Still not very good-looking in my opinion, but easy to follow. The synth-style editing page is particularly appealing and may make this a preferred platform for some developers.

In short, this MAY be a game-changer vis a vis Kontakt, but probably isn't as powerful feature-wise as MachFive.
Interesting... I'll have to take another look. I kind of tuned it out at the $149 price tag. I don't get the $99 crossgrade option because I didn't own the right version of SampleTank 2... even though I did buy a lot of their libraries when they were on sale. I'll have to mull it over some more. 32 Lives makes it possible for me to stall. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

James, you might qualify after all, as they have a number of "paths" to the full discount. One of them is owning Miroslav Philharmonik.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:James, you might qualify after all, as they have a number of "paths" to the full discount. One of them is owning Miroslav Philharmonik.
Right. Well, I was logged into their site when I clicked the link in the email and it showed me the $149 upgrade. Those letters after a product are important. I have SampleTank 2 XT not XL and Mirolsav Philharmonik CE. Both are the "lesser" products, so I don't think they qualify you for the $99. Not a biggie. And rather than suggest what they're asking isn't fair, it just pushes it off given other priorities.

32 Lives has really allowed me to hang back with upgrades and not do them JUST for 64-bit compatibility. I'm still using Altiverb 6. I wouldn't mind getting Altiverb 7, but I think that upgrade is around $200. So it has to wait for another day. What I would really love someday are the Lexicon plugs since I'm a big fan of 80's style rock production. :)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It says it will play previous libraries under the "powered by SampleTank" label. I wonder if that includes SonicSynth, SampleTron, Miroslav and so on? These all had their own players.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It might have ended by today, but the Lexicon plugs have been on half-price sale or deeper. ALL of them. As a result, I went ahead and filled out my collection with the "middle set" even though it's "redundant" with the "upper set" (the "lower-end" MPX is its own thing), because it's a faster interface for quick mock-up production and has great presets as starting points.

I haven't had a chance to delve too deeply into the Altiverb update yet. It's a nicer interface and easier to find things, but I also got a bit thrown by some incompatible changes in the cutoff frequency part of the interface that I haven't quite resolved yet, and some confusion over changes in the defaults (labeling-wise at least) for omni vs. mono vs. stereo etc. I use Altiverb mostly for post-production and ambient spaces and haven't done as much of that recently.

It looks like SampleTank 3 has a significant subset of CSR, AmpliTube and T-RackS, even down to the GUI part. Probably some DNA from those plugs has been in previous versions of SampleTank but not in quite as obvious a way.

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Can we get that with all our custom shop credits, or is that separate from the IK store now?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

labman wrote:Can we get that with all our custom shop credits, or is that separate from the IK store now?
I know you can't use Jam Points towards it. Don't know about custom shop credits.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:It might have ended by today, but the Lexicon plugs have been on half-price sale or deeper. ALL of them. As a result, I went ahead and filled out my collection with the "middle set" even though it's "redundant" with the "upper set" (the "lower-end" MPX is its own thing), because it's a faster interface for quick mock-up production and has great presets as starting points.

I haven't had a chance to delve too deeply into the Altiverb update yet. It's a nicer interface and easier to find things, but I also got a bit thrown by some incompatible changes in the cutoff frequency part of the interface that I haven't quite resolved yet, and some confusion over changes in the defaults (labeling-wise at least) for omni vs. mono vs. stereo etc. I use Altiverb mostly for post-production and ambient spaces and haven't done as much of that recently.

It looks like SampleTank 3 has a significant subset of CSR, AmpliTube and T-RackS, even down to the GUI part. Probably some DNA from those plugs has been in previous versions of SampleTank but not in quite as obvious a way.
Yep... saw the half price sale, but even then I have to wait anyway. I already have CSR which is nice. :)

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although this probably won't help with the upgrade, just wanted to point out that I was surprised the other day (though someone else may have already mentioned it here in another topic) to find that you can now use JamPointz to buy CustomShop Credits. I did that so I could get one of the new processing plugs for T-RackS. I can probably get the other new one using leftover JamPointz and whatever I earn for the SampleTak 3 upgrade.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmm. no one posted the link? Here it is:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sa ... ank-3-info

I own the full version of the Miroslav so I qualify for the $99.95 upgrade. I see that some of the Miroslav instruments will be included as 64bit libraries.

Perhaps a Miroslav Philharmonik update is on the horizon?
Compatible with all previous “Powered by SampleTank” sound modules and sounds (can import all previous sounds and Combis)
For the same price as 32lives (which I don't own)? Yea, I'm there. Miroslav and SampleTank 2 have the only 32bit AU VIs I use anymore.

I have no idea what I will do with the "2,500 percussion libraries" (if anything) but I might find some cool new toys. Who knows?

I hope that they have a new license manager. The current one can be a pain to set up and it's easily hacked. Hey, the worst of both words... iLok would be fine with me, especially the way that Eventide and UVI are doing it with their latest offerings..
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Perhaps a Miroslav update is on the horizon?
My understanding is that it isn't. Instead you'll be able to open all the older libraries that came with 32 bit players in ST3. At least that's how I think IKM answered this question when I asked them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Perhaps a Miroslav update is on the horizon?
My understanding is that it isn't. Instead you'll be able to open all the older libraries that came with 32 bit players in ST3. At least that's how I think IKM answered this question when I asked them.
I wondered. If that's the case, well I'm getting ST3 anyway.

I'd want a Miroslav update to be a lot more than 64bit samples of the old libraries. An update that is a major would get my $$.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wasn't there a newer Miroslav library from another vendor recently? If so, there might be contractual reasons preventing IK from doing a formal "update" of the "older" version.