SampleTank3 PreOrder

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SampleTank3 PreOrder

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:I pre-ordered. I can't do the fix to jbridge required to get some of the IKM instruments to work (IIRC, you need a 64 bit VST Mac host other than DP to do it?). I could get 32lives, but for the same price I can get the upgrade to ST3, and IKM is the only stuff I have left that is 32 bit. I set up an inter-app link between DP and DSP-Quattro to access IKM VIs in the interim.

IKM seems to struggle with updates, and their authorization process is annoying, but I find the sounds very usable. Getting all 4 IKM VIs working properly in DP 64 bit is worth $99 to me.

If there are some useful new functions and improved samples in ST3, even better. The ads says there are lots of new things, but I didn't really understand the point of most of it.
With minor variations, the same reasons that I ordered it. Same price as 32lives, an easy way to host Philharmonik in DP 8. The promise of 'new stuff' is icing on the cake.

Just because I never used all 64 colors doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy owning the Big Box of Crayolas.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote: Miroslav Vitous?
I think the town and the bassist are separate entities each with a string library named after. I can't really tell if there's a connection or not.

Miroslav Vitous was a well-known bassist in the 1970s and 80s, playing with Weather Report, Miles Davis, and other groups. He created the world's first fully sampled orchestra for use with sampler keyboards in the 1990s and it used to be very expensive. Ironically, even though it's still being sold in different incarnations with the same samples (or same recordings, resampled) it is still one of the best sample sets. As an originator of a new technology filling a need that drove him to do this, he understood a great deal more about why things had to be a certain way, and many of those things escape the copycats who have done it since then. I can still get very musical results from the Miroslav samples, while many of the libraries since then are nearly impossible to work with. I know a few composers who say the same.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The release date is now set for July 24.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I'm looking forward to opening up some songs I put on hold that where using ST when I moved to 64bit.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

Shooshie wrote:Miroslav Vitous was a well-known bassist in the 1970s and 80s, playing with Weather Report, Miles Davis, and other groups. He created the world's first fully sampled orchestra for use with sampler keyboards in the 1990s and it used to be very expensive. Ironically, even though it's still being sold in different incarnations with the same samples (or same recordings, resampled) it is still one of the best sample sets. As an originator of a new technology filling a need that drove him to do this, he understood a great deal more about why things had to be a certain way, and many of those things escape the copycats who have done it since then. I can still get very musical results from the Miroslav samples, while many of the libraries since then are nearly impossible to work with. I know a few composers who say the same.
It's an amazing library overall, even running through something as simple as the SampleTank 2 engine! I've since graduated to the Symphobia series for my main orchestral library, but I still flesh it out with stuff from Philharmonik. If IK Multimedia was smart, they'd re-sample the library at a higher bit-depth and sample-rate and integrate it into the ST 3 engine more fully (key- and velocity-switching, etc.), but so long as you can import it into ST 3 at all, it's definitely worth having.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I'm in.

I don't build samples with it, but I still find the odd gem in the library. Looking forward to a 64 bit version.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

SixStringGeek wrote:I'm in.

I don't build samples with it, but I still find the odd gem in the library. Looking forward to a 64 bit version.
+1

I (pre)ordered yesterday.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
cgs

Post by cgs »

Time is running out to pre-order ST3, I'm interested and the price is right since I have Miroslav. I'm running DP on a Mac Pro 1.1 (10.6.8), and ST3 apparently requires at least 10.7. Is there a way to continue running DP on my MP, run ST3 stand-alone on my new MBA (Mavericks), and somehow control the MBA/ST3 from MP/DP? I don't even know if that question makes sense...
Mac Pro1.1 8-Core 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 8.06, Arturia Laboratory, Yamaha i88x (long live mLAN), Korg OASYS-PCI (long live OASYS-PCI), lots of old Ensoniq gear (long live Ensoniq)

Wow I really need to update my sig...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes you can, but it's not trivial. If you can run both applications on one Mac it is pretty easy. DP's Inter-application MIDI or the Apple IAC driver can be used to route MIDI, and Soundflower can route the audio.

When you do it on two different Macs it get more complicated. I run UAD plugins in DP 7.2.4 on a G5 and send audio to it from an iMac and route the wet signal back from the G5 to the iMac. There G5 has a MOTU 2408-2 and iMac has a 828-3. These interfaces are connected via ADAT, giving 8 stereo audio channels between the two Macs. The two Macs are connected with an Ethernet cable and use Network MIDI which is built into the Mac OS. I use Desktop sharing to put the screen of the G5 in a window on the screen of the iMac.

The downside, other than the fussing around firing up two Macs, loading and saving two sessions, etc, is latency. Neither Mac knows what happening in the other so they can't compensate for latency. In my case, I measured the overall round trip delay, and then used AU Delay to lag the channels not being processed on the G5 so they sync with the late signals arriving from the G5.

If you put Sampletank on another computer you have to figure out the delay between MIDI sent from the Power Mac and the arrival of audio back to DP. Then you can use the MIDI Time Shift plugin to send the MIDI earlier by that amount.
cgs

Post by cgs »

Thanks for the tips bayswater
Mac Pro1.1 8-Core 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, DP 8.06, Arturia Laboratory, Yamaha i88x (long live mLAN), Korg OASYS-PCI (long live OASYS-PCI), lots of old Ensoniq gear (long live Ensoniq)

Wow I really need to update my sig...
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Just got my serial number Emailed today hoping to find to install it soon.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Off to a bad start. I'm getting a load of errors on importing the Miroslav library. Folder creation or something like that. Maybe I'll have to wait until the new libraries are installed before importing and converting the old.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:Maybe I'll have to wait until the new libraries are installed before importing and converting the old.
That was it. Once the included sound library is installed, there's a place to install older libraries. Although at first glance it looks a lot of the original Miroslav samples are already included. The few ST3 sounds sounds I tried seem identical to the Miroslav sounds of the same name.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't gotten the Authorization Manager to work yet.

I launch the Authorization Manager and get an announcement that I can't use it because it is out of date.

I download and install 1.09 - same thing

I run the Uninstaller but don't remove Preferences, reinstall - Same thing

I run the Uninstaller and remove Preferences, reinstall - Same thing

A support ticket has been placed.

Update: It turns out that the latest version of Authorization Manager is 1.10, not 1.09. I found it on another part of their web site. I also got a reply from Support
You can download it from http://www.ikmultimedia.com/authorizationmanager

Now that I wiped all my preferences, I wonder if Miroslav will work - its serial# doesn't work with the new authorization manager. I'll report back.

OK, all my older products have newer serial numbers in my User Area - these appear to fit the new AuthMgr. I'll deal with that later.

The 2G library download is stuck at 1.8Mb - not surprising for second day of release.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Mike in the email I got with my serial number, there was a link right in it for the Authorization manager. Clicking on it downloaded version 1.1. That worked fine.