Bouncing to Disk or Freezing?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tommypenngotti
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bouncing to Disk or Freezing?

Post by tommypenngotti »

What is the best way to save to desktop individual drum tracks with all plug ins including master channel fx at highest quality? Is it best to crank the individual channel as high w/o clipping to get max volume of track?

:roll:
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
Shooshie

Re: Bouncing to Disk or Freezing?

Post by Shooshie »

tommypenngotti wrote:What is the best way to save to desktop individual drum tracks with all plug ins including master channel fx at highest quality? Is it best to crank the individual channel as high w/o clipping to get max volume of track?

:roll:
I wouldn't.

When you start mixing tracks frozen at high volumes, you're looking at all kinds of troubles. Better to keep the range about -15dB, or so. There's nothing wrong with doing what you said if you're willing to work around the problems that it creates later on. After all, internally DP has immense headroom at 32bits FP for all tracks and busses. But only if you know what you're doing and how to avoid problems in the final output.

I find that mixing goes a lot faster, and the overall cohesion of the tracks sounds more like a live recording, if I keep the track levels in a good listening range that rarely approaches the yellow in the meters.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

got it -

Dave from Motu was recommending "Freezing" and re-assigning the output mono/stereo best way to get tracks to desktop . If I have plug ins on the master fader , doesn't freezing just grab the individual track and avoid master involvement? thanks
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

If you want to include in a track its plug-ins, send FXs, and possible submix aux groups, and whatever you have in the Master Fader, then you MUST use BTD, or record DP´s output in real time.

If you're working at 24 bits, I suggest leaving the levels alone and bounce them "as they come out" (unless you have a good reason not to).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

ok great , so back to my original question :

what is the best way to bounce multiple individual tracks at the highest quality including all plug ins / master fader

BTD >
sample format > same as project
AIFF - interleaved or deinterleaved?
mono or st depending on track

thanks!