Metering. Any Suggestions?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
shaman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Metering. Any Suggestions?

Post by shaman »

labman wrote:We have the bluecat bundle, insight, all the waves stuff. we like Bluecat, but... alas it does not do weighting. ("B","C". etc) Since we got insight, engineer is 90% of time is using those, and 10 % waves dorroughs.
I also use Waves Dorroughs, but for loudness precision I use Waves WLM Loudness Meter. iZotope insight is a great meter too.

There was an excelent meter designed by Roger Nichols, but sadly it has been discontinued.
OS Mavericks (10.9.5)
Protools HD Native 11. Logic Pro 9. Digital Performer 8.
Waves 9 Mercury Bundle. iZotope RX 3 Advanced.
Avid HD OMNI. Apogee Ensemble.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Actually if you're talking about the meters I think you're talking about, Roger Nichols did not design them. They were by another company (can't remember the name now) that Roger Nichols acquired and rebranded it as RND (Roger Nichols Digital). I have both the pre and post RND versions. I still use the RND meters with 32 Lives. Fortunately I have no problem with authorizing because the offered iLok versions later and I have the license on my iLok2.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dwetmaster wrote:izotope insight
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... g/insight/
Comes with RX 3 Advanced and Ozone 5 Advanced or as a stand alone product.

Ozone 5 Advanced is on sale right now. If you have the standard version or an older copy of Advanced, the upgrade prices are less expensive than Insight by itself.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... ing/ozone/
Clicking through to the Sweetwater banner can get your upgrade even quicker and sometimes the pricing is better.

I like PSP 2meters which I got bundled with something awhile ago.
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/too ... p_2meters/

$14.90 by itself.
https://www.pspaudioware.net/register/store.php
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
shaman

Post by shaman »

James Steele wrote:Actually if you're talking about the meters I think you're talking about, Roger Nichols did not design them. They were by another company (can't remember the name now) that Roger Nichols acquired and rebranded it as RND (Roger Nichols Digital). I have both the pre and post RND versions. I still use the RND meters with 32 Lives. Fortunately I have no problem with authorizing because the offered iLok versions later and I have the license on my iLok2.
I don't remember well, but I think Roger Nichols acquired and rebranded Elemental Audio. The last time I saw that meter was on a G5, so I can't remember well.
OS Mavericks (10.9.5)
Protools HD Native 11. Logic Pro 9. Digital Performer 8.
Waves 9 Mercury Bundle. iZotope RX 3 Advanced.
Avid HD OMNI. Apogee Ensemble.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

shaman wrote:I don't remember well, but I think Roger Nichols acquired and rebranded Elemental Audio. The last time I saw that meter was on a G5, so I can't remember well.
That's it! I had the Elemental Audio version and subsequent RND version. RND supported iLok. They're still working great for me in 32 Lives.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've got the Elemental Audio versions and they're still working great under 32 Lives. That must have been some well written code!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
jeepbird

Post by jeepbird »

One more VU meter:

http://www.klanghelm.com/VUMT.html

It's not expensive and I found it feature-wise better than the PSP VU meter.
MacOS 10.14.6 / DP10.11 & DP9.52 + VEP Pro/ Macbook Pro 2018/ Benchmark DAC1 USB / RME FireFace UCX / Adam A7 / XV-3080
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:I've got the Elemental Audio versions and they're still working great under 32 Lives. That must have been some well written code!
Do you know how you got them working? I have all of the Elemental plugins, the final versions (not the RND versions), but I've never been able to get them to appear in DP, or anything else in 32 bit mode, for a very long time. Did you have them installed a long time ago, and just done OS and DP updates? Or did you manage to actually install them recently?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
Phil O wrote:I've got the Elemental Audio versions and they're still working great under 32 Lives. That must have been some well written code!
Do you know how you got them working? I have all of the Elemental plugins, the final versions (not the RND versions), but I've never been able to get them to appear in DP, or anything else in 32 bit mode, for a very long time. Did you have them installed a long time ago, and just done OS and DP updates? Or did you manage to actually install them recently?
Seems to the key to a lot of these situations is whether the user authorized the plugs under a previous version of the OS prior to upgrading the OS. I'm pretty sure some plugs will run in 32 Lives so long as they were installed and authorized in Snow Leopard, for example, but should you update to Mavericks and somehow lose an authorization, you're out of luck. The plug might be able to run, but the authorization process won't work. Another reason why I'm thankful for my iLok plugs.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:The plug might be able to run, but the authorization process won't work. Another reason why I'm thankful for my iLok plugs.
That probably it, although the authorization process does run and says it's complete. The plugins just don't show up in any host. The original coding probably didn't anticipate the problem of OS updates.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
James Steele wrote:The plug might be able to run, but the authorization process won't work. Another reason why I'm thankful for my iLok plugs.
That probably it, although the authorization process does run and says it's complete. The plugins just don't show up in any host. The original coding probably didn't anticipate the problem of OS updates.
Weird. I do believe there were also VST versions of the Elemental version of Inspector XL. (I JUST remembered the name of those meters! LOL) I think I got the 32-bit VSTs to work with jBridgeM. You might give that a shot, rather than AUs with 32 Lives.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Weird. I do believe there were also VST versions of the Elemental version of Inspector XL. (I JUST remembered the name of those meters! LOL) I think I got the 32-bit VSTs to work with jBridgeM. You might give that a shot, rather than AUs with 32 Lives.
Good idea. I probably have those because I used them with Cubase before I had DP.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

James Steele wrote:The plug might be able to run, but the authorization process won't work.
That is exactly the case. The plugins still work but the installer/authorizer quit working many OS's ago. I've been lucky with migration assistant and (for whatever reason) the plugs are still there and still work. If I ever lose the authorization though, it's all over.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.