Drag MIDI problem

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Drag MIDI problem

Post by vsoprod »

I recently had a problem with dragging MIDI from EZDrummer 2 to a track in DP and it wouldn't take. I could drage the file to a track then it would pop back and not complete the action. It works in other projects. Toontrack suggested I try dragging a MIDI file from the finder to a MIDI track in DP. In the bad project it woudn't work. In other projects it worked fine. Has anyone had trouble dragging MIDI into a DP track and if so did you find a way to remedy the problem?
Thanks for any help
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Drag MIDI problem

Post by Guitar Gaz »

EZD2 has a slightly different feel when dragging to the Tracks Overview than it did in either EZD1 or Superior Drummer. You appear to get a highlight over 2 tracks instead of one but it does only end up on one MIDI track. And I had great trouble with one simple drag of a ride cymbal on its own which always ended up in a different time-place to where you could hear the sound occurring - very strange. I will need to experiment more with EZD2 - I have gone back to Superior on some projects but was intending to use EZD2 on new ones where I needed to find plenty of grooves to build a track.

Obvious things to watch for - make sure its a MIDI track you are dragging to, and be precise as to which track you are pointing to.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

Generally I've had no problem dragging in EZ2. On mine it highlights two tracks but one is the conductor and it puts a time signature in.
I did have problems with single tracks from the percussion library either ending up in the wrong place from where they actually played and they played one extra beat, but that was fixed in 2.01
My problem now is a locked out track in one sequence, which I fixed by duplicating the sequence and reinstancing EZ.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

vsoprod wrote:On mine it highlights two tracks but one is the conductor and it puts a time signature in.
That explains that - thanks
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

Here's my email exchange with Toontracks regarding the drag and drop problem with EZdrummer 2. Please follow the trail from my initial inquiry to their latest response, which is the first thing you'll see below. If anyone can figure out what they mean, I'll send you a prize!
I've confirmed the problem with a colleague. In short, they broke what worked perfectly in EZdrummer 1.

Please try dragging the MIDI to the instrument track EZD is inserted on. We have not come across any reports of this error.
The addition of or enabling track features is a feature of DP only.
Once a MIDI file is dragged from EZdrummer to any host (DP in your case) it has Zero effect or influence on the EZDrummer software and EZDrummer has Zero effect or influence on the MIDI file. When the MIDI file is on the DP track it is simply information that is being sent to EZdrummer for EZDrummer to interpret. EZDrummer then interprets this MIDI file as it is received.
Best Regards,
Toontrack Music
www.toontrack.com

Hello,
I'm attaching four screen shots. #1 is "About EZdrummer", #2 shows the drum page, #3 shows the MIDI icon from one of the loops on the Browser Page. As you can see from the shot, I'm on the MIDI page of DP, attempting to drag and drop the loop into bar 129. The MIDI icon appears for a moment, then disappears. No MIDI data is dropped in.
#4 shows the loop successfully dragged and dropped into the Tracks window of DP. It went into bar 129 as planned, but added the unnecessary 4/4 Conductor information.
I hope this helps!

Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 8:52 AM
Subject: [Toontrack] Re: My issue is not covered in this FAQ, what next?

Toontrack Support (Toontrack)
Sep 22 10:52 AM

Thanks for your email.
Can you please send us a screenshot of EZD2 launched within DP? Seeing the software as you see it in the DAW is very helpful to us.
On a Mac, press and hold SHIFT+COMMAND+3 to generate a screenshot to your desktop that you can attach to an email reply.
Best Regards,
Toontrack Music
www.toontrack.com

FAQ title: My issue is not covered in this FAQ, what next?
FAQ URL: https://www.toontrack.com/faq/my-issue- ... what-next/
Product: EZdrummer 2
Serial: EZ2U-JGSP-9NA9-DWJE-MZTH
Sequencer: Digital Performer 8.07
Sent: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 03:44:24 +0000 UTC
I've just started using EZdrummer 2. I'm a long time EZdrummer 1 user. There are two issues I've discovered, and have confirmed with a colleague, who also uses DP8 and EZdrummer 2.
1. The MIDI drag and drop from the EZdrummer GUI into DP's MIDI Window no longer works. The MIDI drag and drop into DP's Tracks Overview window does work. Not being able to drag and drop into the MIDI Window creates unnecessary steps, and doesn't allow for precise placement of the MIDI loop, fill, etc.
2. When the MIDI is dragged and dropped into the Tracks Overview window, unnecessary Conductor Track information is added. For example, if the loop is 4/4, then a 4/4 marker is added for no reason. If the song that I'm working on happens to be in 3/4, for example, this can create some very distracting issues.
Overall I love the sonic improvements, and above all, the ability to mix and match kits. Big improvement!! Because I do all of my drum sequencing in DP, and have been for years, the Song Composer function in EZdrummer 2 is of little interest to me.
Thanks very much in advance for looking into this for us.
Sincerely,