Importing audio for post from FCP X

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Importing audio for post from FCP X

Post by ghobish »

I am trying to import audio from Final Cut Pro 10 v 10.1.1 (curent version) into DP 8.06. FCP X has no export facitlity for OMF/AAF (without an expensive plug-in) and I did try the FCP 7 import last week which worked beautifully.

I was surprised to find the DP8 does not recognize the XML format from FCP X. The only currently available plug-in that exports AAF from FCP X will only open in ProTools 11. So much for "standards."

Is there a trick I am missing? What is the best workaround for this situation?

Thanks!
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Importing audio for post from FCP X

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The silence is deafening. I'm guess it's not going to happen. The XML thing was a highly tauted feature in DP and if that isn't cutting it I don't know what will.

I suggest a screwdriver. Use a good vodka and fresh OJ.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Wrote to Magic Dave, his response was basically what we knew- that it's broken because Apple changed the format. No mention of any plan, even a back burner one, to fix it. Suggested the "export as contiguous AIF file" idea but that is no solution.

Might have to buy X2Pro and deal either using or going through ProTools.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

At this point you can use X to 7 to export an XML that can be read by FCP 7 or Premiere Pro. An OMF file can then be exported for use by DP.
FCP 7 is the preferred choice as its OMF can export levels and pan and the crossfades and fades transfer perfectly. The OMF from Premiere exports the audio fine but there is no levels or pan and DP does not read the crossfades.
I do lots of audio post for TV and doc work and at this point most of the work I get comes from Premiere and I'm hoping MOTU will make their import of OMFs compatible from Premiere.
What I like I like about the OMFs from Premiere is they don't have the 2gb file limit that FCP7 does.
BTW X to 7 is about 50 bucks.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

vsoprod wrote:At this point you can use X to 7 to export an XML that can be read by FCP 7 or Premiere Pro. An OMF file can then be exported for use by DP.

Could be a viable option, yes. I wonder if there is an advantage to opening the XML in FCP7 just to export the OMF vs. directly importing it into DP? I've recently had some pretty good success with that workflow from native FCP7 projects.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

ghobish

Post by ghobish »

ghobish wrote:
vsoprod wrote:At this point you can use X to 7 to export an XML that can be read by FCP 7 or Premiere Pro. An OMF file can then be exported for use by DP.

Could be a viable option, yes. I wonder if there is an advantage to opening the XML in FCP7 just to export the OMF vs. directly importing it into DP? I've recently had some pretty good success with that workflow from native FCP7 projects.

Well, importing directly as XML does not work- there is a problem in the syntax with the path to the audio files that DP is not dealing with properly- but opening in FCP7 so far is working, as is the OMF export. A step forward!

These are very simple FCP X sessions- we will see how it handles more complex ones as time goes by.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

mastermixaudiomedia

Post by mastermixaudiomedia »

I just revisited this topic, having to move some audio out of FCPX for editing since that functionality within FCPX is shall I say, lacking. :mrgreen:

I used the LE version of X2Pro for the XML -> AAF conversion, which at the time of this writing just got updated to version 2.3 which supports FCP XML v1.4 as well as spanned R3D files in Mavericks.

Importing the X2Pro AAF into DP results in a Project which has no audio in it, whether opened from the File menu or importing into an empty Project from File -> Import -> OMF/AAF As Project.

In order to get the audio I had to use(gasp) Pro Tools 10 to import the X2Pro AAF file which I then saved as another AAF(File -> Export -> Selected Tracks as New AAF/OMF...) that I was able to import into DP with the audio now in place. I've also had to do this with AAF's exported out of Avid Media Composer to get them into DP... a rather unfortunate necessity. :oops:

I don't know what is missing in the AAF's created by X2Pro or Media Composer, but once run through PT I can get stuff into DP no problem.

Ken
DP 10.13 OS X 10.13.6 Mac Pro 3.46 12-core 48GB/6TB UAD-2 Octo
MOTU User from when before Performer was Digital!
http://www.mastermixaudiomedia.com
mastermixaudiomedia

Post by mastermixaudiomedia »

And just re-revisited with the 8.07 update, same result. :deadhorse:

Bumming
DP 10.13 OS X 10.13.6 Mac Pro 3.46 12-core 48GB/6TB UAD-2 Octo
MOTU User from when before Performer was Digital!
http://www.mastermixaudiomedia.com
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I had to do something similar last year.

FCPX to DP would not work.

Bought X2Pro, but after many hours of attempts and workarounds, it did not work for me.

To be honest, why should I even be considering a third-party program and workarounds?

Why can't DP work the way it's supposed to work, instead of always blaming Apple?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

JSmith1234567 wrote:To be honest, why should I even be considering a third-party program and workarounds?
Why can't DP work the way it's supposed to work, instead of always blaming Apple?
It's a valid question for which I do not know the answer. But the situation may be more complex than we know. This isn't the first time that Apple has changed a format soon after MOTU went to great pains to provide an export/import path. Mach Five 2 was to be compatible with Apple Loops, but shortly after it came out, Apple changed the format and they no longer worked. Then there was a period in which exports to AIFF weren't working right. I don't remember much about it, but here is what I put in the Tips Sheet glossary at the time:
  • AIFF-C/sowt Audio Interchange File Format - Compressed/sowt: A little-known audio file format introduced by Apple sometime in late 2006- early 2007 without documentation or announcement. While Apple's audio applications seemed unaffected (possibly because of insider information), others like Digital Performer were caught off-guard, and thus a bounce-to-disk with AIFF selected actually produces AIFF-C/sowt which shows up in the Finder as AIFC, but is not the same as the traditional AIFC format, which formerly was virtually interchangeable with AIFF. See Wikipedia for details.
Still, you'd think MOTU would fix anything like this as soon as it happens. I don't know why sometimes they don't and sometimes they do.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Still, you'd think MOTU would fix anything like this as soon as it happens. I don't know why sometimes they don't and sometimes they do.

That really sums it up better than I ever could!

Sometimes they are right on top of something, others times it can inexplicably go on for years.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Any news on this one? I'm trying to do the same thing with no success. I don't already own FCP 7. Ugh. I'm wondering if latest Logic can import from FCPX and then it's possible to save from Logic to something DP can open?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Got a email from a friend who suggested this:
The easiest way is make sure your audio dialog is assigned the role label: dialogue (which is pretty much default). Select “Share” and select “Master File”. When the dialog window opens, select the Settings tab and then under the format pull down select “Audio Only”, select your favorite format but the key is to select the “Roles As” pull down and select “Audio Only as Separate Files”. That will display all the roles labeled in the project (edit). Select your desired channel config and hit next.. (You don’t have to print all of the role-labeled tracks, you can remove the ones you don’t want with the ‘-“ button).
It will output the audio locked to the cut. You can then take it into DP and work with it there.
There's also an app called Project Xto7 that will convert a Final Cut Pro X XML file an older Final Cut Pro 7 XML file, which can then be loaded into DP:

https://s29039.gridserver.com/Intellige ... /catalog/2

It's $49.99. I have not tried it yet.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
My work flow for importing from Premier is to click "edit in audition" in the edit window. Let it do it's thing and Audition will open with the project. Save as OMF or AAF then open in DP or PT etc. MAke sure you are only referencing the audio and not embedding.

Don

P.S. I don't have FCPX so I cannot answer that.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness