24 hour Pettinghouse Sale 6/12/2014

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

24 hour Pettinghouse Sale 6/12/2014

Post by HCMarkus »

June 12, 2014 24 hours SALE; $49 on all Pettinhouse's libraries.

http://www.pettinhouse.com
David Polich

Re: 24 hour Pettinghouse Sale 6/12/2014

Post by David Polich »

Yes, this is good deal. Can't recommend his Funky Guitar 2.0 library enough. The original Funky Guitar was good, definitely way more useful than Scarbee Funk Guitar, but 2.0 adds choked and muted articulations and a larger variety of chord types, as well as new patterns. You can definitely get your "Super Fly" and "Shaft" freak on with this library.

Acoustic Gtr 2.0 is also a big improvement over the original Acoustic Guitar which was excellent to begin with.

Andrea works hard at his libraries and they're all dedicated to those who play guitar "from their keyboard".
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Got the email and wasn't sure which time zone it applies to, so figured I'd wait until we hit an hour that is "good" for both Mainland US (vs. Hawai'i) and Western Europe. :-)

UPDATE: His website says 2pm Rome time (GMT) and 8am in the US (no time zone specified, and anyways that is at a minimum 1 hour after the sale starts in Italy, if you're in Puerto Rico).

Dave, good to hear that Funky Guitar 2 is worthwhile. Being primarily a bassist, even though I am spending the most time on guitar this past year or so than I have in twenty years, I feel it unlikely I'll have time to get as good on funk guitar as what a good library can deliver -- for mockup purposes, of course. Atop that, I only know one local guitarist who knows the proper technique, and I'm not sure I can afford him on most of my projects. :-)

I do own the Scarbee and have found it rather unconvincing and annoying after one or two listens, even with serious tweaking. I couldn't get the audio demos to play the last time I tried his site (a while back -- I run into embedded audio issues now and then at various websites and haven't quite pinned down the cause as it isn't strictly Flash or SoundCloud issues on any sort of global scale), but I might just take advantage of this sale on faith alone.

I'm one version behind on most of the others.

Has anyone tried Little Guitar? I bought and sold a real Cavaquinho last year, finding it extremely uncomfortable to play, but like the sound. I have always hesitated though on this library as it is described almost like he simply EQ'd a classical guitar to make this "extra". That's completely "wrong" as the Cavaquinho sounds nothing like a classical guitar and is steel-strung!
Last edited by mhschmieder on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

So, just to be clear, it looks like Powerchords is simply one of the patches in DirectGuitar 3.0 sold separately (at the same price)?

Similarly with Little Guitar (if it is indeed a Cavaquinho vs. EQ'd versions of the nylon guitar as is the "nylon bass"), which also looks to be a same-priced extract from Classic Guitar?

I am a version behind on Acoustic Guitar and Direct Guitar as well as Direct Bass, but don't really want the latter (especially as it is a Yamaha TRB Active Bass low-end model).

It seems my Warm Jazz and Humbucker Guitar libraries are still current at V1.

Note that the free Warm Jazz is a different guitar than the paid version, so I kept my free one as I like its timbre better. Not sure what he used for these but it's strange he calls them the same thing. He might have switched source instruments between versions of other libraries too. Impact Soundworks did that and I had to restore my deleted Version 1's as a result!

It looks like he's calling the Ukulele a "guitar" to keep it in the "theme", but it seems to be a standard Ukulele (though I don't have my audio interface turned on tonight so haven't heard the samples yet). A Guitarlele is a very different thing, and I don't care for them at all.

Although Scarbee's funk guitar is also a maple Strat and is 8-10x as large in sample size, I have found other examples where a smaller library has serious trumped the larger one due to playability, musicality, practicality, and choice of emphasis.

I've always admired Pettinhouse's libraries for their playability and musicality, but they have generally left me wanting for more when it comes to timbre. I am now beginning to suspect much of that is due to the source instruments that were recorded vs. talent or sample size.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
pettinhouse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by pettinhouse »

mhschmieder wrote:So, just to be clear, it looks like Powerchords is simply one of the patches in DirectGuitar 3.0 sold separately (at the same price)?

Similarly with Little Guitar (if it is indeed a Cavaquinho vs. EQ'd versions of the nylon guitar as is the "nylon bass"), which also looks to be a same-priced extract from Classic Guitar?

I am a version behind on Acoustic Guitar and Direct Guitar as well as Direct Bass, but don't really want the latter (especially as it is a Yamaha TRB Active Bass low-end model).

It seems my Warm Jazz and Humbucker Guitar libraries are still current at V1.

Note that the free Warm Jazz is a different guitar than the paid version, so I kept my free one as I like its timbre better. Not sure what he used for these but it's strange he calls them the same thing. He might have switched source instruments between versions of other libraries too. Impact Soundworks did that and I had to restore my deleted Version 1's as a result!

It looks like he's calling the Ukulele a "guitar" to keep it in the "theme", but it seems to be a standard Ukulele (though I don't have my audio interface turned on tonight so haven't heard the samples yet). A Guitarlele is a very different thing, and I don't care for them at all.

Although Scarbee's funk guitar is also a maple Strat and is 8-10x as large in sample size, I have found other examples where a smaller library has serious trumped the larger one due to playability, musicality, practicality, and choice of emphasis.

I've always admired Pettinhouse's libraries for their playability and musicality, but they have generally left me wanting for more when it comes to timbre. I am now beginning to suspect much of that is due to the source instruments that were recorded vs. talent or sample size.
1- "So, just to be clear, it looks like Powerchords is simply one of the patches in DirectGuitar 3.0 sold separately (at the same price)?"

If you purchase Powerchords under this sale I send also the links to download DirectGuitar 3.0

2- "Similarly with Little Guitar (if it is indeed a Cavaquinho vs. EQ'd versions of the nylon guitar as is the "nylon bass"), which also looks to be a same-priced extract from ClassicGuitar?"

Same above and BTW it is cleared written LittleGuitar is a sort of Cavaquinho not it is a Cavaquinho

3- "I am a version behind on Acoustic Guitar and Direct Guitar as well as Direct Bass, but don't really want the latter (especially as it is a Yamaha TRB Active Bass low-end model)."

The Yamaha TRB that I used for DirectBass is not a Low-end model but the Model from 90s which doesn't have nothing to do with new low-end models.

4- "Note that the free Warm Jazz is a different guitar than the paid version, so I kept my free one as I like its timbre better. Not sure what he used for these but it's strange he calls them the same thing. He might have switched source instruments between versions of other libraries too. Impact Soundworks did that and I had to restore my deleted Version 1's as a result!"

WHAT??? :) they share exactly the same samples.

5- "It looks like he's calling the Ukulele a "guitar" to keep it in the "theme", but it seems to be a standard Ukulele (though I don't have my audio interface turned on tonight so haven't heard the samples yet). A Guitarlele is a very different thing, and I don't care for them at all."

IT IS a real Ukulele 4 strings. UkuleleGuitar ( Guitar because all my products share the same ending on the name )

6- "I've always admired Pettinhouse's libraries for their playability and musicality, but they have generally left me wanting for more when it comes to timbre. I am now beginning to suspect much of that is due to the source instruments that were recorded vs. talent or sample size.[/quote]"

I suggest you to change monitors ;) I don't have any strange or low-end sources here. All my products are recorded directly to the audio interface ( TC Electronics Konnekt 48 ) I don't like that the signal makes lots of passages thru external gears.
I use KEF Monitors reference series.

Anyone can have their own opinion of course but at least it should be based on real facts.

How can you state that I used a low-end TRB without any prove? Do you know my TRB? Where you here when I sampled DirectBass? Do you know the different between an old TRB and a new TRB?
Or that WarmJazz FREE is different than the FULL version?

That's not correct because then people come here and read this and think is correct what you are saying.
Guitar & Basses sample libraries for Kontakt
http://www.pettinhouse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Andrea, thanks for clarifying the library content.

I can't find a way to turn off auto-correct on this forum (a recent change), and spent time last night going through settings to no avail. Not everything I wrote was what I wrote; I am constantly having to go back and re-edit postings these days to correct the "corrections" as I don't spot them right away since I'm a fast typist and see what I type but not the S-L-O-W auto-corrections that happen behind the scenes.

Anyway, the point is that a few of those statements were qualified but lost their qualifications. I'm having this happen on other forums as well, and it matters not whether I am on Windows, Mac, Firefox, Safari, email, or whatever.

Regardless, most of what I wrote were opinions as well as very specific confusion which you have clarified but which I think has to be recognized as a typical thing that happens going across languages.

It is good to know that you did not use budget instruments; several other vendors do this so I have gotten to where I really want to know the details of each product.

pettinhouse

Post by pettinhouse »

The most important that everything's clarified :)

For any question I'm here :)

A.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks, and I'm sorry if any miscommunication seemed like undue criticism. Even the critique that I actually intended, is mild compared to what I level at some other vendors. :-)

I will quite likely bring my collection up to date and complete once I'm at home and more relaxed. I was mostly confused over what seemed like possible overlap of a few of the collections, and you clarified.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, about WarmGuitar, what I said didn't come off right. The free version sounds radically different to me than the paid version, so I thought you simply had decided to do a new session and chose a different model guitar. It wasn't a criticism at all; I like them both. But I kept the freebie after buying the full library as they seemed different and the sample files had different names too. There was a gap in their release so I thought it likely they weren't related except by name and style.

pettinhouse

Post by pettinhouse »

probably WarmJazz FREE sounds different because it has the amp simulator on the Instrument FX slot in Kontakt while the WarmJazz full comes DRY without any effects so you must use it with an external amp simulator. The samples are the same just the FREE version uses much less samples at 44khz 16bit vs 24/96
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That explains it as it sounds a bit warmer to me. :-)

I tried them both just now with all effects and sends turned off, and this eliminates the timbral difference. I much prefer this jazz guitar to the more deeply sampled one in Chris Hein Guitars.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I ended up picking up Funky Guitar 2.0 and Direct Bass 2.0. The latter mostly because I'm not much of a slap/pop player and this library seems way more musical and natural to me than other libraries that offer such playing styles, so it'll do for demos and/or to keep me honest in improving my own playing. :-) The included MIDI files are worth a study too. Big step up from Direct Bass 1.0.

I'll keep my eye on the others as they go through additional revs, but right now I'm focusing on styles I'm not likely to get sufficiently good at over the short term, as I am otherwise trying to resist sample libraries for instruments I have no excuse not to play well. :-)

The staccato mode in Direct Guitar seems very well done and more detailed and useful than other guitar library offerings. It was almost enough to make me go for Direct Guitar 3.0 (I'm still at Direct Guitar 1.0), but I guess I'm hoping for an even fuller dedicated staccato library along the lines of the funk library. :-)