Mission Control question.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Aramis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mission Control question.

Post by Aramis »

Hello Shooshie !
I like the possibility to put my DP8 windows in 8 desktops since I got 2 monitors. But, when I re-open my project, they are not where I have installed them!
Is there a way to save the positions ?
Thanks

Aramis
iMac 2012 27 ' 3.2 ghz 32 gigs ram OSX 10.9.4 DigitalPerformer 8.7 , MOTU Track 16, MOTU MachFive3.2, Ethno and BPM , Komplete 9, OmniSphere , Trilian and Stylus RMX , Axon mkII and Godin LG .
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mission Control question.

Post by Shooshie »

No, the SPACE won't save, but the positions within the spaces do. That is, the screen position saves as always. The trick, then, is to get the windows to the proper space with as little fuss as possible. I have a video about that, but I suspect you've seen it in the past.

Just in case, here is the link.
And here is the Mission Control post in the Tips Sheet thread.

It helps if you have the windows lined up so that the one that you don't move comes up last. If you know how many windows you have open, you can bring all the rest forward in front of the one that stays put. That's usually the Consolidated Window. COMMAND-TILDE will send the top window back by one layer, so if the Consolidated Window is on top, and you have 8 windows open, then 7 clicks of COMMAND ~ will push the consolidated window to the bottom of the stack. Then it's very easy to deal the other windows to their respective spaces, as in the video.

Some windows will remain open but switch content when you change chunks. Others won't. The windows that will stay open and change content are:
  • • Anything in the Consolidated Window
    • Mixing Board (which can be opened separately so as to keep it in its own space)
There are probably others, but I'd have to test them to be sure.

Then there are windows that stay open and do not change content:
  • • Anything in a V-Rack
    • Stand Alone Edit Windows
The edit windows remain open when you switch chunks, and they do not change content to reflect the change in chunks, but it's easy to switch between them if they are left open atop each other in a single desktop space.

Plug-in windows have a more complex behavior which I won't attempt to describe, but it's easy to learn by watching what they do when you open files or switch chunks.

Depending on how many windows you want to keep open in their own spaces, it can take anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds to get them all distributed to their proper destinations. It's definitely a downside to using Mission Control, but as far as I can tell, it's the ONLY downside. A few seconds is a small price for such convenience.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|