Pretty cool: msata SSD PCIe card

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gabe S.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pretty cool: msata SSD PCIe card

Post by Gabe S. »

Hey guys.

I have been considering some different drive setups. I'm tired of listening to my esata external backup enclosure all the time.

The guys from VisionDAW pointed me to something from Addonics. It's a PCIe card that holds 4 msata drives. You can buy 1TB msata drives. So that 4TB of drive space on a single PCI card. And it's bootable. And it's fast as hell. ( http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2.php ) And the pci card is only $55.

I've already bought two of the pci cards so I can hold up to eight 1TB msata drives. And I've cloned my startup drive to an msata. Works great.

I'm probably going to switch my whole setup to msata on my PowerMac tower. And then use the regular drive bays as my backup drives. Everything inside the box! No more loud external fans and spinning platters!!

Anyway, for anyone with a tower and some open pci slots, this is looking like a nice solution----quiet, fast, cool, and compact.

Cheers.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
FMiguelez

Re: Pretty cool: msata SSD PCIe card

Post by FMiguelez »

Pretty nice!

I knew of eSata, but mSata? What's that? What's the difference?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

eSATA is external so I assume mSATA is internal (but what the m stands for escapes me).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:eSATA is external so I assume mSATA is internal (but what the m stands for escapes me).
m stands for "mini". These drives have been around for a while and I imagine were designed for laptops. They use to top out at half the read/write speed of 2.5" SATA, but apparently have caught up. If they're reliable, they'd sure be a nice option to load up your tower with a ton of storage.

rich
Last edited by rnappi on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
MIDI Life Crisis

Just got off the phone with tech support. He wasn't sure which Macs these cards work with and in a PC you can boot off the first slot. The question about compatibility is whether or not the mac has AHCI driver which all macs running 10.6 or better should have.

Sounds good to me!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

My sig shows my setup. My computer booted no problem from the msata on the pci-e card.

The performance on these drives even outpaces my Samsung 840 Pro SSD which is my OS drive.

Anandtech had nothing but good things to say about the Samsung msata drives. ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/7594/sams ... 1tb-review ) Here's what they say in their conclusions:

"With capacity of up to 1TB and an impressive performance result, it is truly a no-compromise mSATA SSD. mSATA is no longer a tradeoff between capacity and size, the EVO mSATA provides everything that the 2.5" EVO does but at ~1/4 the footprint."

Anyway, I figured I would share what I learned about these in case it was useful to you guys.

-g
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm glad you did. I;ve been looking for an alternative to overpriced SSD drives and this is it! It'll still cost me at least several hundred to get the kind of storage I want, but much less than replacing my drives and, on top of that, I can simply add four drives, boot of one of the SSDs and still have all my data backed up on the current drives. This is awesome!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh yeah...

THANK YOU!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

:D
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Has anyone done a comparison between the Samsung 840 and the SandForce SF3700 yet?

Although I've seen lots of announcements from manufacturers that they will have SSDs with the SF3700 controller, I can't tell if anyone is shipping yet. Like the 840, the 3700 is supposed to be available in SATA and mSATA.

With the 1T SATA 840 SSDs shipping for $449, I don't see much point in waiting for anyone to ship an SSD with the SF3700 chip. Especially since my 2010 iMac is stuck at SATA2. I think that I can put two in my iMac if I give up that slooooow SuperDrive. I have the OWC mod for eSATA and can install another in a dock or external enclosure.

I really want an nMP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

This choir is bein' preached to...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=57361

SF3700 is still vapor at this point Mike. I'd be buyin' Samsung, and one of these mSATA PCIe cards, if I were in the market today.
MIDI Life Crisis

I need another week or so until I get paid for 4th qtr broadcasts from 2013. Then I'll be a spendin' foo!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS