Eventide free plugin

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Eventide free plugin

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes but you launched it. Neither DP nor your plugins did.

The iLok license manager app does not launch when a program checks the license either with the license on dongle or on the computer.

I recently bought a plug with three authorizations, the Eventide allows two. If you place one of the two or three authorizations on your iLok, the remaining will stay in pending status. I know that you know this - just clarifying for others reading this thread.

I like the new license manager much more than the old way. I leave the license on the iLok hardware.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: like the new license manager much more than the old way. I leave the license on the iLok hardware.
Same here. Despite the glitches when the new system was introduced, it's difficult to see how copy protection could be made easier or more flexible, particularly now that you don't even need the iLok device. The only thing that could be easier is no copy protection at all.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote: like the new license manager much more than the old way. I leave the license on the iLok hardware.
Same here. Despite the glitches when the new system was introduced, it's difficult to see how copy protection could be made easier or more flexible, particularly now that you don't even need the iLok device. The only thing that could be easier is no copy protection at all.
I really LOVE my iLok. Maybe I haven't had any issues and that's why, but I have the 2nd Generation iLok and it is SO much more convenient to me than challenge and response and disc authorization schemes. I can use my plugs on ANY Mac, or upgrade my system, replace a drive and I don't have to go to various developers' websites reauthorizing plugs. They just work. The new iLok License Manager app is a breeze to use as well.

I have very high hopes for iLok 2 being uncrackable. I think, frankly, an uncrackable system would ultimately be a tremendous win-win for developers AND consumers. Developers could lower prices and still make money, and so long as there's competition among them, that would happen.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Sorry for drifting OT, but I just wanted to mention that I was "one of those guys" who was totally against the iLok; until I bought one. I still have just the original iLok, and it has been a pleasure to deal with since day one. It's just so convenient and doesn't mess with my DAW at all. I love it now (hope I don't jinx myself).
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I support iLok.

I've had a couple of issues, including a dead iLok (Zero Down Time made that a smooth fix), and some problems with the iLok Manager application on one early occasion (now also fixed). These were not problematic enough to cause me to change my opinion of iLok: it's an excellent solution to managing licenses and keeping them portable.

I record on different computers at different times, and on many different hard drives. The old ways of enabling software were just too unreliable and sometimes left me stranded in the field. iLok takes the worry out of all that. The only thing you need to worry about with iLok is keeping up with it. Think of it as your wallet after cashing a large check. You aren't going to leave that laying around. Nor will you leave your iLok laying around. Save the cap that goes on it, and you can carry it in your pocket without worry about damaging it. Just be sure always to test your computer(s) with it the day or night before an important gig. That way you can be sure there are no surprises. By "surprises," I'm mainly referring to updated manager software and newly downloaded plugins that may need authorizing.

iLok isn't the cheapest solution, but as far as I can tell it's the best.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. One of the main complaints seems to be "what if I LOSE my iLok." Well, if they can someday reduce the physical size so it's just a little nub that can stay in laptops without being damaged that might mitigate that. But to keep things in perspective, I have a specialized Windows app that I use in conjunction with another business I operate. It requires a USB hardware key, about the same size as the iLok so it cannot stay attached to the laptop in transport. I simply have to be extremely conscientious and force myself into a routine that prevents losing it. Slow down. Put the dongle back into a specific hard container (with other cables) before putting it back in my laptop bag. It takes some care, but I know I will not lose it so long as I take a breath and stick to my routine in terms of handling it. I've even seen people attach large keychains (almost like the old style plastic ovals that used to go on motel room keys before the advent of the magnetic card) so that it is ridiculously obvious when it is in your laptop bag and very easy to visually confirm that it is with you.

As far as my iLok goes, I don't have need to take my iLok plugs to gigs. I have a MacBook that I'm going to use for live backing tracks, but I'm just playing back audio so stock plugs are more than adequate. So my iLok resides on a hub attached to my studio Mac at all times. It doesn't go anywhere.

I had a discussion with one of the guys at PACE while they were working on the iLok2 (in the aftermath of iLok1 being compromised). Apparently it was the software wrapper that got cracked, not the actual hardware, but that's semantics. iLok1-protected plugs became vulnerable to the pirates. He told me that iLok2 is light years more secure than the first one. To my knowledge it has so far frustrated the hackers and as I have said, if we end up having a solution that (rightfully) protects the intellectual property of developers and their livelihoods, while inconveniencing as few end users as possible, it could in fact *lower* software prices and better still, provide financial incentive for talented programmers to invest their time and energy into creating quality apps and plug-ins. If a programmer can feel confident that if his/her app could sell enough units to compensate for the time and effort he /she expended to bring it to fruition, it could spark a new era of creativity in music software.
Last edited by James Steele on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Attach" large keychains... not "Attack" large keychains! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

... I was "one of those guys" who was totally against the iLok; until I bought one. I still have just the original iLok, and it has been a pleasure to deal with since day one. It's just so convenient and doesn't mess with my DAW at all. I love it now (hope I don't jinx myself).
Perhaps love is a little strong in my case but, otherwise, that describes me.

I agree with the above comments and believe that using it for free offerings from commercial companies is a pretty good idea. Makes consumers more accepting which goes back to the other comments.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Just a heads up in case some of you didn't get the email. There's an update to UltraChannel, and Eventide included a free month of access to all of the Groove3 tutorials on the Groove3.com website. I think I'll see what kind of tricks I can pick up for DP. 8)
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice the 30 day free offer in the email. Wonder what's up with Eventide? First a really good looking plugin, then this.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll have to check that out. It was mentioned in an email I got from them about an update to the UltraChannel plug, now up to 2.0.15.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks for posting that. My update email was sitting in the Junk folder.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Thanks for posting that. My update email was sitting in the Junk folder.
Mine too. I have to check it every so often. :)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Recently, I took the opportunity to a clean install. I got all my user files and Apple apps from Time Machine and am now reinstalling all of my third party applications.

Anyway, I went to PACE, downloaded the latest version of their License Manager, logged in and in a couple of seconds, there were all of my iLok licenses so that, as I reinstalled my plugs (many are newer versions than I had), everything is working with no hassle.

Curiously, when I looked at my Eventide Ultra-Channel installers, I noticed that the earlier one is 2.0.5 while the "updater" is 2.0.15. Huh? I'm pretty certain that the updater was supposed to be named 2.0.51 and someone made a mistake. Both are full installers, btw.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Mike... I noticed that too. I think Eventide is actually using some numbering scheme that is leading off a leading zero. I don't get why they'd do that, but I think .5 is really .05. Goofy.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The numbering seems OK to me, as long as you allow two digits. "15" is more than "5". Like OS X 10.9 versus 10.10.