Need Help Trying to Align a 2 measure loop to B&Bar Lines

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
plum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need Help Trying to Align a 2 measure loop to B&Bar Lines

Post by plum »

Update: In case I am not being clear, I am trying to take a non-click-recorded 2 measure loop, set soundbyte tempo and then Set Sequence Tempo to Soundbtye.

I then want to repeat to form the template of my new piece.

The problem seems to be that I can not get the loop to adhere to an exact 8/000 sample length..

Basically I have been Jamming with my friends and thanks to Beat Detection along with Snips and splices I have been building Song templates...

Every now and then I might have a one or two measure loop I would like to isolate and start a new tune from.

It has a slightly varying tempo but the loop sounds great!
I want my VI effects to work proper with the lock to external tempo settings and be overall organized...

So I attempt "set soundbite tempo" and end up with something like 7/479 even after trying to change it to 8/000.

Anyway I have to choose either Conductor track or the Tempo Slider at this point when trying to adjust sequence tempo to sound byte tempo...

Either way I end up with a loop length that looses samples as I repeat the loop.
I try to repeat the loop 64 times and end up losing a sample or so per loop.
The loop is only 6 seconds or so.

I tried manually extending the waveform as close to 480 as possible and then repeated in sections of 4 loops per repeat and that seemed to cut down on the loss of samples thereby throwing my beat and bar line accuracy off.

Any ideas any one.

I really love to work with loops not recorded to click tracks and find myself sometimes in the mist of these types of challenges...

Maybe there is no way to get a loop to perfectly look to an 8/000 sample measure length?
Last edited by plum on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motu Audio Express
2.4 Ghz Imac Early 2008
4 GB Ram
DP8 & DP9...
Schweats

Re: Need Help Trying to Align a 1/2 measure loop to B&Bar Li

Post by Schweats »

First , your headline says you want to lineup a 1/2 measure loop. Then you further state you want to edit the audio to 7/479 or 8/000 …… that would equal 2 full measures in 4/4
So, what are you trying to do ?

You did not indicate that there was any dead space ahead of the first transient (usually kick drum in a groove style piece of audio) If there is any dead space , trim/delete that allowing the kick (as an example) to accurately line up to a bar line. Upon completing this , now highlight the audio data you'd like to loop and engage the 'set soundbite tempo' and proceed from there applying that to the sequence tempo.

I personally prefer to edit my audio so it loops properly via the correct length and tempo , then rather than actually 'loop' the data , I copy and paste the audio into each measure I need. Most assembly I do adheres to 8 bar phrases and I have a marker list as part of my file template and I know the bar numbers of where most everything will fall……… that is simply the way I work… HTH - Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
plum

Re: Need Help Trying to Align a 2 measure loop to B&Bar Line

Post by plum »

My mistake I meant 1 to 2.

In this case 2 measure loop.

But i don't mean loop in terms of DP's loop function.

I usually use the repeat/paste function to achieve the length I am looking for.

It seems that DP is having trouble giving me an exact 8/000 and looks like this:

http://tinypic.com/r/20jhbao/8

IT will however let me drag pretty close to 1/100th of a sample before or after 8/000 -- I guess I shouldn't complain. That means 100 repeats = 1 to 2 samples off?

As far as jams that continually change tempo, I guess I should stick with using beat detection to splice and snip, and forget about the idea of a continually changing tempo map I could link my VI's and BPM effects to?
Motu Audio Express
2.4 Ghz Imac Early 2008
4 GB Ram
DP8 & DP9...
Schweats

Post by Schweats »

It actually doesn't matter whether it's 2 beats or 2 measures that you want to repeat , this
CAN be done. You showed the end of the soundbite , how about the beginning of the soundbite as I indicated in my 1st reply, did you trim that ? Did you then analyze the soundbite tempo ? … then set the sequence tempo to the soundbites tempo ?
Actually, I think you're better off having the data trimmed to 7/479 …
If you want to employ an ever changing tempo map , then I suggest you take the Soundbite and load it into…
a) Propellerheads' 'Recycle' ™ app and recycle it. Carve up the transients and load the MIDI triggering data into a MIDI track and load the recycled soundbite 'loop' into the soundbites list. It is way easier than you think, btw.
or
b) Spectrasonics' Stylus RMX … essentially the same thing as above with boatloads of ways to manipulate the data and a factory library that is wonderful. (My personal fav)
spectrasonics.net and watch all their vids
or
c) stay with the Beat detection engine … there is something you're missing here as I've used it extensively and it works flawlessly.
let us know your progress… this CAN be done HTH - schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
plum

Post by plum »

http://tinypic.com/r/28co6fn/8
I inserted a measure to make it more visible at the beginning.
Except for track 7 all sound bytes showing < .01 from the start point measure one.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your tips.

This whole obsession started because over the winter I had some fun jams with three buddies and I found I could extract and fabricate song templates, and actually some good sounding progressions with my DP editing skills. Sometimes I am embarrassed as I enjoy it more than playing guitar anymore; and I find it a creative outlet. This is all thanks to the Beat Detection engine. Most of the time I would use the drums but sometimes guitar or keyboard as my reference and let BTE do the decision. A while back I would have to screw around dragging the cursor just to get one measure.

So What am I missing?
Ideally DP would let you translate their beat map right into the conductor track?

Anyway playing around with the FX genre of NI's Guitar Rig I started to notice that the guitar track would sound different each time depending on when I hit Play. So I realized that even though I had dialed in the tempo slider to the average tempo it still would not start and stop BPM effects exactly the same way. I think when One sets the VI's to external source BPM control that it resets every time to the One which produces a repeatable effect and one where the pulses of a stereo waver are properly in sync with the beats.

But since the tempo wavers over the 5 minutes of my mini sniped and spliced masterpieces, ideally if I had a changing tempo map inline with the Beats then all my effects plug ins would sync up No Matter.

I'll look into the programs you mentioned.
Reading some other posts on the subject it does seem that one needs to translate to MIDI to produce a map that can then be translated back to the conductor track.
Some were using Tap Tempo to do this.
I don't think that is the route I want to take?

Thanks Again...
Motu Audio Express
2.4 Ghz Imac Early 2008
4 GB Ram
DP8 & DP9...
plum

Post by plum »

You Know why I was missing something.
Because I already knew it.
Anyway, because I always have my pieces in multiple sliced waveforms adjusting sequence to tempo always splits my waveforms; but if I simply "Merge Sound-bytes" first...

So Analyze Sound-byte Tempo, then simply adjust sequence to sound-byte tempo...
...and as long as you choose Conductor Track mode one has a fully automated conductor track to ones live music...

My Problem has been not wanting to commit to losing all my divisions but I guess I can always save the original and also I'll still have Beat Detection to further edit...

At least now when I come through and apply various BPM based effects they will work perfectly with the drum track which is what I use to make the tempo map...
Motu Audio Express
2.4 Ghz Imac Early 2008
4 GB Ram
DP8 & DP9...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Have you considered working with REX files in DP? Based on what you describe, they might be just the ticket for you, or at least they could simplify things a bit...

I don't know the details, since I never use that myself, but I know it should be doable.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
plum

Post by plum »

I haven't and I really do not know what they are except in the back of my mind I have an association with Reason?

BTW, I just did a Analyze tempo and Set Sequence to the Soundbytes but my tempo is double time?

Anyway to cut it?
Motu Audio Express
2.4 Ghz Imac Early 2008
4 GB Ram
DP8 & DP9...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

They're related to Recycle.

I understand it's quite easy to manipulate tempi freely with them, especially rhythmic stuff.

Apparently, they adjust to the tempo by themselves with NO PROCESSING (as opposed to your current method), so no degradation occurs (unless the gaps between slices are too large if you slowed the tempo too much).

Reading the relevant chapter might give you more options or tools, if this method turns out to be useful.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman