Superior Drummer stutters - RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Superior Drummer stutters - RESOLVED

Post by lito »

Hello,
lately I have a problem as I describe: when I load a project in my DAW ( Digital Performer 8.06 Mac 10.6.8. ) including Superior Drummer and I play the song, Superior stutters. But when I play the song once more or again and again Superior don't stutter and all is running perfect. When I load a song I'm waiting until all samples from Superior are loaded, so I think this could not be the problem. I have done all updates on my Toontrack account and I have also changed my Buffersize, but the problem is the same. Have someone similar problems or what can I do to test other possibilities ?

Greets
Chris
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
Guitar Gaz

Re: Superior Drummer stutters

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Your signature says 10.6.8 but you don't say which version of Superior you are on. They have released 2.4 the other day - so try that. I am on 10.9.3 but don't have any problems - so maybe its 10.6.8 (I don't remember problems back then). But no stutter problems in DP 8.06 here.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It only happens the first time but then is fine? Either you don't have everything loaded (unlikely) or something is trying to gain access but can't. The system will ignore it after a few unsuccessful tries.

Console is your friend here. Open it and see what happens when the problem occurs.

After I installed DP 8.06, then the OS 10.9.2 update, I had a few such issues. It turned out that the Mackie console plugs were trying to load unsuccessfully - weird because I wasn't making calls to them. Eventually, DP or the system would ignore the request and it wouldn't happen again - till the next time I started DP. This was easy to see in Console. Reinstalling DP 8.06, rebooting and repairing permissions again fixed me right up.

It could be that you need to reinstall DP. There's no installer for 8 - you just install again and if there are any broken paths, this will fix them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lito

Post by lito »

Thanks a lot for your responses ! I have opened once more a project with Superior and on the fly it was running the Activation on the Mac and I could see the MB-Flow was very low. (only 78-80 mb's ) The problem is my RAM too, so I must update my RAM. But I was wondering when the song is running once more and again, no problems there :?
@mikehalloran thanks a lot too and I will test it with the console and new installation of DP. Maybe my RAM is running better :o

Regards Chris
lito

Post by lito »

Now, once more to my Superior problem. I have done the reinstall DP 8.06 but the problem is the same, but I have got an interesting response from Toontrack:

">…when I play the song once more there ... st loading."

Is it possible that the problem for the "virtual memory" DP himself is ?
( I know that my Mac needs more RAM and I do it, but this would not resolve the problem with Superior )

Greets Chris
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Check to see that SD is set to run in "realtime". Shouldn't make a difference, but worth a try.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, I haven't had enough time with it yet to give a complete vote of confidence, but the recent 2.4 update is a must, as long as your system specs support it. It fixes a lot of bugs, improves stability and performance, and makes it compatible with EZDrummer 2.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
lito

Post by lito »

Now folks the problem is resolved. In my "Audio Realtime preferences" I have changed the settings to " Virtual Instruments in Real Time" and now all Plugs are running perfect :dance:
By the way: I have got very fast response from MOTU, great support :headbang:
Once more, thanks a lot for your answers !

Greets Lito
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Cool. Previously I did post:
Check to see that SD is set to run in "realtime". Shouldn't make a difference, but worth a try.
Apparently, it DID make a difference. Note that you used an option that will make ALL virtual instruments run in realtime. At some point you may wish to change that so only the instruments that have issues run in realtime and the others don't. It may save you a little bit on the processor hit. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
lito

Post by lito »

James, thanks a lot for your tip I will consider it ! But it is necessary too for more RAM on my Mac :)
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

lito wrote:James, thanks a lot for your tip I will consider it ! But it is necessary too for more RAM on my Mac :)
Right. :) My point is that you can go into the menu in upper right corner of DP's window for the VI and enable or disable "Run in realtime" as you see fit. This way you can do it for only the VIs that have a problem with it and not all of them if you want to take some of the processing load off your Mac. :)

lito

Post by lito »

@James once more thanks a lot, I have exactly enabled the Superior and of course all is running perfect and the RAM was appreciable better, this I could see on the activity. I will consider it in my projects, but as I mentioned before, for my Mac the Time is ripe to update my RAM :dance:

Best Regards
Lito