VE Pro & DP8(.06) Optimization

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MediaComposer88
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VE Pro & DP8(.06) Optimization

Post by MediaComposer88 »

Hi all,

I've been an avid follower of this forum for quite some time, yet this will be my first post. Good to "meet" you guys!

I've been using DP for about three years now (on a single iMac) for composing for film and tv, and overall I'm very happy with it. However, it's always been quite a challenge to keep everything working efficiently. To improve efficiency, I just acquired VE Pro, and I have some questions on how to optimize its communication with DP (I'm on 8.06, OS is 10.9.3, 32GB of RAM, i7 3,4GHz quad-core, RME Fireface UC interface, external sample SSD, mostly using Kontakt (latest version)).

I was wondering how you setup VE Pro in order to get smooth results in combination with DP.

- How do you set the VE Pro buffer multiplier?
- How do your VE Pro settings for Multi Processing and the counts of MIDI ports/Audio in/outputs look?
- Do you put everything inside one instance, do you spread sections over multiple instances or do you put one instrument in one instance/viframe? (By the way, am I correct that an instance or viframe equals one VE Pro window, so a separate instance added into the server window?)
- Did you go back and change any settings in DP (buffer/work priority/host multiplier) or Kontakt (preload/multi-processor support/memory server) to optimize its interaction with VE Pro?
- What's your routing procedure?
- How do you use the decouple/preserve features?
- Do you use the Event Input mode or do you avoid it?
- Anything else I should take into account?

I realize these are quite a few questions, and some of them might not be that easy to answer since personal system specs often seem to call for different setups. Nevertheless, any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dennis