Yosemite in the fall

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Yosemite in the fall

Post by apanacci »

God help us, Mac new system , here we go again !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Yosemite in the fall

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

No religion please. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Not only that; Objective C is being replaced by Swift (new language) as the Apple choice for iOS and Mac programming.

My source (my son) says it's a better language incorporating his favorite aspects of many languages, but it's not something that people are going to learn overnight.

For now it appears that Apple will continue to support Objective C (Cocoa environment). One wonders if there will come a time when Cocoa will be to Swift as Carbon was to Cocoa. Phased out, that is. Doesn't seem likely, since the reason for Carbon becoming fossilized was the move to 64 bits, and Steve's decision to abandon the Carbon layer. But who'd have thought that would happen? In any case, I'm getting years ahead of the worry game here. Swift and Objective C will co-exist for the foreseeable future, and Swift will bring more subtlety of programming.

One cute aspect of Swift is that it supports Unicode, so you can use emoji in your code. You think, "why would anyone want to?" But the glee that bored programmers will attain guarantees that 4 out of 5 apps have at least one variable or class name that is the steaming pile of poop (yes, that's one of the emoji characters). :shake:

Shoosh

:lol:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:But the glee that bored programmers will attain guarantees that 4 out of 5 apps have at least one variable or class name that is the steaming pile of poop (yes, that's one of the emoji characters). :shake:
I say our friends in Cambridge, MA use that for anything having to do with Avid support. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Change is coming fast but the years seam to be going by faster as well :shock:
This looks like more of a change for iOS devices than OSX and with Swift being able to improve the graphic rendering x10 that's pretty impressive considering its free and you don't have to go out and buy a new device.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It may be trivial but I really don't like the look of the flat Dock and the flat icons. And I don't have an iPhone so the inter device connectivity means nothing to me. I have however stayed in a cabin in Yosemite and I saw some of the filming for one of the Star Trek movies being done there so I guess I am entitled to a free update for that reason alone. I never surfed at Mavericks though......
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I really don't like the look of the flat Dock and the flat icons.
That's a big club of which I am a member.
And I don't have an iPhone so the inter device connectivity means nothing to me.
Ahhhh... that. I can hardly live without it. iPhone often takes the place of my laptop in the field.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:
I really don't like the look of the flat Dock and the flat icons.
That's a big club of which I am a member.
I guess I belong to the other club, then. I liked the flat icons and the "frosted glass" look of the dock. Ahhhh, subjectivity! :D

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I sometimes have trouble telling the difference among the various icons in iOS 7. There. I said it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Mike-- Valid point. Hopefully they'll take all these things into consideration. I just discovered that I can force Mavericks into grayscale. Nostalgic!

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

mikehalloran wrote:
And I don't have an iPhone so the inter device connectivity means nothing to me.
Ahhhh... that. I can hardly live without it. iPhone often takes the place of my laptop in the field.
I have gone down the Samsung route for the phone and agree mobiles are essential for the lives we now lead - it was a much better deal for a better device and cheaper in the long run than an iPhone contract . The connectivity with the Mac is not a real issue for me - I can get all my e-mail and contacts shared so not really missing anything as I don't need to use an app on the phone when I am on my computer anyway. And what with Dropbox and Bluetooth transferring files is a breeze. But I do like a 3D icon I am afraid!
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:I sometimes have trouble telling the difference among the various icons in iOS 7. There. I said it.
Same here. I have to read them now. Before, they had some personality which enabled me to identify them at a glance.

The problem, I think, is my eyesight. With strong glasses I can identify them fairly quickly (still not like before), but if I have the wrong focal-length glasses, I can't identify them without making a pinhole between my fingers and viewing them through it.

The extra shadows and the subtle colors, shading, realism, etc., simply made them easier to see.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, I had problems until I dispensed with the reading glasses. I now wear a contact lens (for distance) in my left I and don't have a lens in my right. Some people's brains apparently can handle this and acclimate. I'm lucky to be one of them. It also helps playing guitar because the strings and fretboard were blurry, however, really I'm working on NOT being one of those guys that has to stare down at it while playing! :)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The multi-device inter-operability is something I've dreamed of for years and years. I can't tell you how much I depend on that, now. Even books I'm reading: I open them in any device, and they go to the page I'm currently reading! Man, when I'm waiting in a line or something, it's great to be able to just pull up any book I want and continue reading. Then next time I'm on my iPad (where I do most of my "on-device" reading) it opens to where I left it on my iPhone.

Needless to say, the ability to enter a new contact in my phone and know it's going to be in my computer when I get home is just priceless. I've come to depend on this now in quite a few apps. This is what computing is all about!

And one thing that people don't discuss much is Siri. I use Siri very productively, asking her to convert currency, lengths, weights; or the capitol of Ohio, or the birthdate of Einstein, or to dial anyone's phone number, hands-free. She opens apps, looks up addresses, finds many things on the map, sets alarms, locates nearby Starbucks, and performs a lot of menial tasks. Plus, she's always got a cute comeback for marriage proposals, and so forth, if you're bored or just desperate for rejection.

Siri is the fulfillment of another long-time computing dream: computers that actually listen to us and do what we ask, without complaint! You have to learn the best way to ask her certain things, but she's surprisingly intuitive. I can't believe how much they've put into her comprehension.

If you're happy just opening Digital Performer, doing your job, and getting offline as quickly as possible, there's nothing wrong with that. But these are amazingly powerful machines, and I completely welcome harnessing them to be more than just a dumb terminal. Super-networking, interoperability, and voice comprehension are a few areas that have just been begging for development, and I'm glad to have them.

Still, I'm disappointed that we have to go through these phases, like some kind of withholding or denial, where one person's aesthetic sense overrides your own and prevents you from having the chamfered and shaded graphics that ease viewing and icon recognition.

Shooshie
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I sometimes have trouble telling the difference among the various icons in iOS 7. There. I said it.
Same here. I have to read them now. Before, they had some personality which enabled me to identify them at a glance.

The problem, I think, is my eyesight. With strong glasses I can identify them fairly quickly (still not like before), but if I have the wrong focal-length glasses, I can't identify them without making a pinhole between my fingers and viewing them through it.

The extra shadows and the subtle colors, shading, realism, etc., simply made them easier to see.

Shooshie
Visually, iOS7 is a horrible design.

I work with people with visual impairments. They got along great with iOS6, but iOS7 ruined the iPhone and iPad experience for many of them. It made seeing things on the screen much much more difficult, and impossible for some.

The average user won't know what a big deal and PITA this has been. I'm so hoping that iOS8 will fix a lot of these issues, but I have my doubts.

Yosemite, on the other hand, looks like a huge improvement over Mavericks to me. Mavericks is DP6. Yosemite is DP8.
DP10.13