Yosemite in the fall

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Yosemite in the fall

Post by Shooshie »

SixStringGeek wrote:Congrats on your son winning the lottery to get a ticket to WWDC, btw. I haven't managed to secure a seat at the dev conf for the last three years. It is simply too popular.
Wow, I didn't realize there was a lottery. He got in through his company, but I don't know how they got the tickets. He sent a nice picture of him and Craig Federighi (misspelled?), and various other shots during the week.

Back to Swift, I talked to him the other day and told him what you said. He agreed! He said he's depending on them finishing it over the next few years so that it's more usable. So, there are some really good things and some not so good things. One thing he likes is that it's Unicode compliant.

Here is a little class he wrote "because you can" now. Keep a sense of humor... it works on multiple levels. If there's one thing he enjoys about programming, it's NOT taking everything so seriously.

TrueElegance.Swift
:lol:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Shooshie wrote:Wow, I didn't realize there was a lottery.
That was new this year. Which is good as last year I got up from my desk to go pee and by the time I got back the tickets had gone on sale and sold out. :shock: It went that fast. Year before was the same. I used to attend them all. Now I haven't managed to score a ticket in 4 years.
Shooshie wrote:One thing he likes is that it's Unicode compliant.
That is a funny class. Objective-C handles unicode fine as data (one of the first to do so) - but the compiler doesn't like unicode (would be trivial to add). It is kind of a gimmick in my opinion. Not every text editor will handle that stuff well and that means your code is vulnerable to breakage in version control systems and such. (I'm an older guy - very trailing edge when it comes to adopting new things - let other people take the risks - I have a reputation for high reliability and thats how I got it).

If you want to give your son something to chew on - check out http://objective.st and watch the Cocoaheads Berlin presentation video there. That's the direction I would prefer Apple go. A much more elegant solution cooked up over the last ten years by a friend of mine who is a really smart guy. I particularly like his polymorphic identifiers innovation.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Earlier in this thread I promised to report back on the new bi-focal contact lenses.

I have been wearing the new type of bi-focal contact lenses now for a few days and can report they are just great. The older style ones were difficult apparently and could cause headaches - but these are very effective and comfortable. The way they work is subtle but not noticeable - apparently your brain filters out the blurry image whenever you are either looking for distance or close up. I have been wearing them for 8 to 10 hours with no discomfort and are good for distance but also close up - reading, computer screen, guitar playing. I recommend you to try them.

This new type that I am wearing are:

Sauron - Clariti - 1 day Multifocal.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. I'm due for an eye checkup and I'll ask for samples.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Earlier in this thread I promised to report back on the new bi-focal contact lenses.

I have been wearing the new type of bi-focal contact lenses now for a few days and can report they are just great. The older style ones were difficult apparently and could cause headaches - but these are very effective and comfortable. The way they work is subtle but not noticeable - apparently your brain filters out the blurry image whenever you are either looking for distance or close up. I have been wearing them for 8 to 10 hours with no discomfort and are good for distance but also close up - reading, computer screen, guitar playing. I recommend you to try them.

This new type that I am wearing are:

Sauron - Clariti - 1 day Multifocal.
Thanks for the info! I had given up on other types of multi-focal lenses prior to this. I have actually been wearing a lens in my left and and no lens in my right. The left handles distance, the right handles the close-up stuff. Apparently I'm one of the people whose brain can handle this and it doesn't bother me. It's been great not to have to carry reading glasses around with me! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I do recommend these James as it is less effort than being lopsided with one lens in and one out ( I couldn't hack that myself). I am sitting here working at the computer and looking at written hard copies on my desk, yet at the same time I rode my my bike this morning - you can truly do everything with them. They also have a high oxygen content apparently which makes them more comfortable and I can wear them for 8-12 hours so far with no problems. They are a bit of a life changer, from looking in indexes of maps (A-Z), to reading restaurant menus, all things that were an ordeal with normal lenses. And the distance vision is still good.

My wife had the old style bi-focal lenses for a while and could not get on with them (I think it was a crude inner and outer band) but she loves these and we are both marvelling at having what feels like "normal" eyes again. Very clever stuff.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.