Mackie MCU

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tillets
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mackie MCU

Post by tillets »

Hi! I would like to know if this control surface is great for DP8.
If not what sort are you using ? I have 400$ for a used item...
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mac Pro late 2013
Motu Ultralite mk1
Elektron Music Machine Fan :)
bayswater

Re: Mackie MCU

Post by bayswater »

I don't have a MCU, but I've tried a few emulators. Generally they work OK, but in DP, when you switch banks, DP changes the Mixer window display to show only the 8 tracks in the new bank (leaving out the Master track too). I find that really annoying, and could never get used to it. HUI emulators to this too. I'm assuming that DP will do the same thing with a real MCU
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I've really enjoyed using a MC with DP7, not only for the faders but for the rotary knobs (which can be assigned to several different functions) and dedicated buttons. MOTU supports it extensively. It lets you take the transport and mix windows off the screen.

Make sure when you're buying used that you get the DP Lexan overlay that labels the buttons on the right side.

If you have a MOTU interface, a bonus feature is that the MCU can control CueMix FX as well. During tracking sessions it helps a lot making latency-free headphone mixes, and (if you have it set up right) the controller will "flip" between CueMix and DP as needed.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

tillets wrote:Hi! I would like to know if this control surface is great for DP8.
If not what sort are you using ? I have 400$ for a used item...
Thanks in advance!
I have an MCU and three extenders. I like faders. Great addition to DP.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Love it in my studio. I have 2 of them . Older and a newer one. One is hooked up to DP 8 the other to CueMix
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

apanacci wrote:Older and a newer one. One is hooked up to DP 8 the other to CueMix
That's a neat trick...I hadn't thought of that. The pause when the MCU switches between DP and CueMix is a little distracting, and sometimes it "gets lost" and I have to power-cycle the MC.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I've been using the Mackie for the past 10 years. Works great. I just wish MOTU would fix that jog wheel to something useful.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

bayswater wrote::::but in DP, when you switch banks, DP changes the Mixer window display to show only the 8 tracks in the new bank (leaving out the Master track too). I find that really annoying, and could never get used to it. HUI emulators to this too. I'm assuming that DP will do the same thing with a real MCU
On the MCU, this is a preference that can be disabled.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dwetmaster wrote:
bayswater wrote::::but in DP, when you switch banks, DP changes the Mixer window display to show only the 8 tracks in the new bank (leaving out the Master track too). I find that really annoying, and could never get used to it. HUI emulators to this too. I'm assuming that DP will do the same thing with a real MCU
On the MCU, this is a preference that can be disabled.
That's interesting. I wonder if there is a way to disable it on emulators? Perhaps some sort of custom console to edit bank change message? Maybe the message the MCU sends is different depending on whether the preference is on or off. But the emulators I've tried don't do this in Cubase or Logic.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
darrell

Post by darrell »

Yeah, the jog wheel bugs the sh*t out of me. I have a shuttle pro and will go to that for jog wheel stuff. i have to extenders with my MCU, and on one of them the blue panel (showing tracks, etc) is very dim. any way to get that to brighten back up? other than that, i like my mackie mcu etc a lot.