DP8.0.6-VEP5-10.8.6 upgrade & processing is worse!?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rukidding
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8.0.6-VEP5-10.8.6 upgrade & processing is worse!?

Post by rukidding »

After all the upgrading I have lots of new things but the CPU processing is worse than when I was using DP7.24, VEP4 and 10.6.8!!! How is that possible? Directories & volumes have been repaired many times. I've always had separate SATA connections for my projects and video drives and the DP sequences have about the same number of tracks with the same plug-ins.
The best thing about the upgrade is that Melodyne finally works inside DP without crashing and I have a lot of cool UA plugs. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks, G
2019 Mac Pro -10.15.7 - DP 11.21 -VEP7
David Polich

Re: DP8.0.6-VEP5-10.8.6 upgrade & processing is worse!?

Post by David Polich »

Have you upgraded to VEP5? I think that's one of the problems. The other being that you should really be on at least 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), and you should be running DP 8.06 in 64-bit mode.

That said, I bailed on VEP5 months ago and deleted it from my system. I found it to be just
annoying, at best. Total waste of money for me. Then again, I don't run large orchestral templates, I just do pop, rock, country, and EDM.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Some two or more years later major updates of the OS and applications are putting more demand on the same older hardware? That never happens! :)

I kid... but you expected otherwise? My experience is that every subsequently MAJOR update of any app is less efficient.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rukidding

Post by rukidding »

That's what my gut has always told me too James but I wanted to move ahead with the UA plugs which I love. One update seems to lead to another and then you're at their mercy.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I hear ya, man and I wasn't trying to be flippant. Just keep something in mind also about the UAD-2 Quad: it's not going to be compatible down the line with TB-to-PCIe expansion chassis. Only the Octo *might* be since apparently it has upgradeable firmware. I only mention that because I'm a UAD-2 Duo owner and my enthusiasm has been greatly dampened as far as buying any more UAD plug-ins. I'm leaning toward native plugs nowadays.

Perhaps when the day comes that I ever end up with a new "slot-less" MacPro, I'll be able to transfer those plugs to some flavor of Apollo interface or maybe a future outboard UA Thunderbolt DSP box... but who knows?

Nothing you haven't considered. I just got an email today from UA offering me a $50 coupon because they "hadn't seen me in a while" or some such thing. Those coupons use to perk my interest. No more. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rukidding wrote:That's what my gut has always told me too James but I wanted to move ahead with the UA plugs which I love. One update seems to lead to another and then you're at their mercy.
Hey are you still on Snow Leopard? That's what it says in your sig still. If so, I would definitely jump to Mountain Lion at least.

Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

James Steele wrote:I hear ya, man and I wasn't trying to be flippant. Just keep something in mind also about the UAD-2 Quad: it's not going to be compatible down the line with TB-to-PCIe expansion chassis. Only the Octo *might* be since apparently it has upgradeable firmware. I only mention that because I'm a UAD-2 Duo owner and my enthusiasm has been greatly dampened as far as buying any more UAD plug-ins. I'm leaning toward native plugs nowadays.

Perhaps when the day comes that I ever end up with a new "slot-less" MacPro, I'll be able to transfer those plugs to some flavor of Apollo interface or maybe a future outboard UA Thunderbolt DSP box... but who knows?

Nothing you haven't considered. I just got an email today from UA offering me a $50 coupon because they "hadn't seen me in a while" or some such thing. Those coupons use to perk my interest. No more. :(
I just bought the UAD 2 Satellite and was told by Sweetwater that this will be updatable. I hope they're are right because I love these plugs!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Bennie Sims wrote:I just bought the UAD 2 Satellite and was told by Sweetwater that this will be updatable. I hope they're are right because I love these plugs!!
I'm sure you're right since it's not the PCIe card form factor. I need to look into this. From what I've read on various boards, TB-to-FW adapters work just fine on these units. Which means... who knows... my LiquidMix that is working with 32 Lives might actually continue working someday on a MacPro with TB. That right there is pretty amazing!

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

James Steele wrote:I'm leaning toward native plugs nowadays.(
+1 JS.

My Liquid Mix is on Ebay, and I am looking into other alternatives for my Powercore plugs constantly.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
rukidding

Post by rukidding »

I hear you James but since I no longer do drugs, drink or chase women I am perfectly comfortable with my UAD ADDICTION! :lol:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rukidding wrote:I hear you James but since I no longer do drugs, drink or chase women I am perfectly comfortable with my UAD ADDICTION! :lol:
hahaha... well nobody's perfect! :)

flashman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by flashman »

Well I can't move to DP8 because I use a lot VSL EP and the CPU usage in DP8 is definitely worse than 7 so Ive stuck to 7.24. Ive tried moving up twice and my template which is close to maxing out my 12 core just screams and shouts - lots of MIDI drop out all sorts of stuff. Not very promising in the long run.
rukidding

Post by rukidding »

Really so you've noticed that too? Is that admitted by MOTU? I thought it was just me
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Regardless of why it's happening, don't blame MOTU. The responsibility for VE Pro's compatibility with DAW's rests solely with Vienna.

Perhaps you should contact them, and put the bug in their ear (again) to fix this. They've had over a year to do it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just done exactly the same thing, and had exactly the same results/problems.

I was on 10.6.8 and DP 7.24. Upgraded to to 10.8.5 and DO 8.06. Using exactly the same sequence (which contains many VE Pro instances), DP 8.06 consistently crashes. And/or grinds to a halt. Completely unusable. I tried a new template with the same amount of plug-ins. Same. DP 8.06 just can't cope.

Fortunately, DP 7.24 seems to work fine on 10.8.5, and all these sequences are running great on this, so just gonna have to say goodbye to DP 8 for now :-(

I'm running DP on a 2*3 quad-core intel xeon with 10 gigs of Ram. I know it's not brand spanking new, but about 3 years old, so guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy brand new mac tower.

Does this sound like a CPU problem?

I've let the Vienna guys know as well...
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam