Sequence of upgrades for 64 bit

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Sequence of upgrades for 64 bit

Post by billgers »

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find an answer to this specific question: If I want to join the 21st century and go 64 bit on my Mac Pro, what is the recommended route? Do I start with DP and then the VI's and then the OS? Or do I do the OS first and then the others? Does it really matter what order I do the upgrades in?

For reference, I am in OS 10.6.8 and I am using DP 7.24 with a wide variety of VI's, but primarily Kontakt 5, E/W Play, Mach Five 2, Trillian and Stylus RMX, Ethno 2, Sampletank 2.5 (bu-bye!), Addictive Drums, Alchemy (love it!) all on an early 2008 Mac Pro. Also, will I need to do anything special to continue using my 828 Mk. 3 and my MIDI express xt?

I'm assuming that I will go the full Monty to the latest version of Mavericks and DP 8.0.6, but I am open to hearing reasons that I should not do so.

Thank you!
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sequence of upgrades for 64 bit

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 7.24 works in Mavericks. It will remain 32bit but most of your plugs will still work in it - unless they were old PPC apps that need Rosetta to work in 10.6 - those won't work at all from Lion on.

Some of your 32bit plugs will not work in 64bit; others will if you use wrappers like J-Bridge (VST) or 32lives (AU).

MachFive 2 will not work as a plugin in DP 8 64bit but will stand-alone or as a plug in 7.24 or 8 32bit.

Tons o' threads on these subjects now. Use the search function now that I've given you some terms to search for.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

When I changed my G5 for Mac Minis, doing a clean instal worked wonders for me.

I started with the OS. I got Mavericks and then I made sure I had the latest update.

DP followed. I did some tests at this point, and everything worked.

From there, I started installing all my plugs and VIs. It's a lot of work, but totally worth it. Having a clean instal and only audio apps, seem to agree with a dedicated studio computer.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:
MachFive 2 will not work as a plugin in DP 8 64bit but will stand-alone or as a plug in 7.24 or 8 32bit.
Mine works perfectly, Mike. Actually, it ONLY works as a plug-in here. If I try it hosted inside VE Pro, I get constant crashes and stuck notes.

Unless I've been running it in 32 bit mode and don't know about it (but I don't think so. How can I know for sure?) :?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
Mine works perfectly, Mike. Actually, it ONLY works as a plug-in here. If I try it hosted inside VE Pro, I get constant crashes and stuck notes.

Unless I've been running it in 32 bit mode and don't know about it (but I don't think so. How can I know for sure?) :?
Maybe you have been running in 32 bit mode? Was MachFive available as an AU? Perhaps it was and you're using it inside a wrapper? I thought it wouldn't work, but I may need to look again. I have MachFive 3 anyway, so I guess it's not a big deal.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

billgers wrote:Sampletank 2.5 (bu-bye!)
That works for me in DP8 64-bit with 32 Lives
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have helped diagnose the problem in a couple of threads - MV2 can't be seen by DP 8 but works standalone. The user changes DP 8 to 32bit and there it is. Then someone posts that it's time to upgrade to MV3 and so on...

Starting with MachFive 3, I don't have a way of duplicating the results.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

James Steele wrote: Maybe you have been running in 32 bit mode? Was MachFive available as an AU? Perhaps it was and you're using it inside a wrapper? I thought it wouldn't work, but I may need to look again. I have MachFive 3 anyway, so I guess it's not a big deal.
mikehalloran wrote:I have helped diagnose the problem in a couple of threads - MV2 can't be seen by DP 8 but works standalone. The user changes DP 8 to 32bit and there it is. Then someone posts that it's time to upgrade to MV3 and so on...

Starting with MachFive 3, I don't have a way of duplicating the results.
I am SO SORRY, guys!

I didn't see the 2 in the MachFive part... My brain just saw the MachFive part and it assumed it was MF3 :oops:

Note to self:
When I find something about hardware that seems to contradict what MIke Halloran says, I should really double check my facts (or reading) first. :)

billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by billgers »

Thank you everybody for the responses. I know this will be a lot of time and energy to do all the updates, but I feel like I really need to escape the RAM limitations of 32-bit. I am hoping that by going 64 bit, I can continue to use my ancient computer well into the future, since the only thing that really gives me trouble is projects with lots of sample data.

I guess I should be thankful that at least I'm not dealing with the limitations of my old rack of Akai hardware samplers (still useful to have around as a light show when a client needs to feel the bling factor).
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II