Can I Prevent DP from defaulting to Airplay?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I Prevent DP from defaulting to Airplay?

Post by stubbsonic »

I've noticed that if I remove my RME FF800, DP8 will automatically choose Airplay as the fallback audio device. It's annoying, because if there's no FF800 connected, I'd like it to revert to the built in audio. Is there some trick to making DP unaware that Airplay exists in my home?

Forgive me if this has already been addressed.

(BTW, I did notice that DP has stopped making a fuss when I plug/unplug headphones into/from my macbook pro in a recent either OS or DP update-- so that's nice).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Dan Worley

Re: Can I Prevent DP from defaulting to Airplay?

Post by Dan Worley »

Can you deselect its driver from Configure Audio System?

Or you can rearrange the Bundles to make sure Built-in Audio is at the top. Whatever is on top is the default.
DP10.13
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks.

I can open the SETUP/CONFIG AUDIO SYS/CONFIG HARDWARE DRIVER and change the driver. I'm just noticing that I now have to do that every time I switch between using my external i/o and my laptop by itself.

Airplay doesn't appear in the bundles window unless the driver is selected. So I can't reorder them unless I was to choose to include airplay as one of my devices which I'd rather not do.

I can't reorder the devices in the hardware config window. DP defaults to Airplay because they are listed in alphabetical order.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I'm on Mountain Lion - is Airplay something that was integrated into Mavericks? I don't
see it on my system.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I believe it is on my system because I have an Airport Express (as a WiFi hub) and thus have the option of sending audio to the device (which is handy, because I have an FM transmitter connected to it). But I wish DP didn't know it existed. Or that I could just set it so the FF800 is the default device (when present) and the built-in audio is the fall-back (2nd default).

But because it is first in the list, I can't prevent DP from choosing it first.

This is kind of a broader hassle (beyond DP). I did a theater production a couple years ago and because the theatre had apple wifi devices, I'd get little windows popping up during the performance "Do you wish to use the Airplay device?" YES/NO or words to that effect. It was annoying. That wasn't DP, it was MainStage2.

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Maybe you can delete Airplay from your Mac entirely? It falls under the "that's kinda cool" category of gimmicks that Apple keeps coming up with. But certainly, nobody "needs" it unless they're using it to do presentations.

This must be a Mavericks thing, btw, as I do not get presented with this Airplay message when
switching, and I cannot find it on my system (10.8.5).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't know if you need Mavericks, but I think you do need an active Airplay receiving device on the same network as the Mac. Wouldn't the problem go away if that device was on a different network on your Airport? That way, you could use it or not, depending on which network you choose on the Mac.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That is an interesting option. I don't have multiple networks in my home. If I just hang up my wifi, then Airplay probably won't get grabbed by DP. But sometimes I go back & forth between email & DP when I'm working with a client.

I think my next option would be to work out some kind of quick keyboard macro to confirm the selection of the built-in output.