Update your RME firmware and drivers if you updated Safari

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Update your RME firmware and drivers if you updated Safari

Post by mhschmieder »

I was getting all sorts of crackles in audio tonight and was near-panic, when it occurred to me to just visit RME's website and see if they have any updates, and sure enough they do, and they are quite recent and address a problem with the latest Safari updates.

Everything is fine now that I have updated the firmware and the drivers and rebooted the Fireface UFX and the computer. It is fortunate that I remembered I and done a Safari update last night right before shutting down for the night, and that Safari has been known in the past to have weird potential side effects on Core Audio.

Interestingly, TotalMix looked a lot different after I restarted. Even its dock icon is a lot different from before. It's much sharper overall, but also a bit darker. Even examining the pack contents, there's just one executable file and supporting image files, so I can't tell whether they switched technologies or not. I think when it's just an exe file, it means it was built with Xcode vs. something like the Qt toolkit (formerly from Trolltech and not to be confused with QuickTime).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH