Advice of libraries for a full-length movie

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Advice of libraries for a full-length movie

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I love Iris but it lacks the specificity I prefer. It's more of a throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-happens kind of app. It can give interesting and useful results, but on its own terms - at least in my experience.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Iris is really good at one thing, cutting specific frequencies in a sound source. It's absolutely surgical in this regard. I do think it's promise of subtractive audio synthesis is only partially realized though. When you can use filters on specific areas of a sound, and can soften the transitions of cuts, then it will come into full use. As it stands sharp cuts bring out weird filtering noises which mark it's sound in a unique way, but limit it's palette as well. I'm definitely hoping they do some updating in v2.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:I mentioned this thread to my wife the other day. Her advice: "if the movie has spies, you need bongo drums. I think it's the law that all spy films must have bongos in the sound track."
Same thing if it has bears running from the park ranger. Bongos... where would we be without 'em?

:lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I would think Omnisphere would be choice number one for this...
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Rubens

Post by Rubens »

Kurt Cowling wrote:I would think Omnisphere would be choice number one for this...

Thank you all for the great advices!
Just to give you some feedback: Besides Shoosh tip about some exoctic library, which I will buy right away, I think Omnisphere is closer to what I was looking for... Iris is great too though!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The sale on Iris ends today, I think.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rubens

Post by Rubens »

mikehalloran wrote:The sale on Iris ends today, I think.
thank you Mike!!!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Correction - according to the Izotope site, the sale on Iris ends tomorrow, May 29, 2014. [I include the date because this will someday be an old thread - next week, perhaps]

If you click through the Sweetwater banner at the top of these boards, you'll find the same price. I've not found a reseller offering it for less. YMMV.
I love Iris but it lacks the specificity I prefer. It's more of a throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-happens kind of app. It can give interesting and useful results, but on its own terms - at least in my experience.
I couldn't agree more. Kind of why I like it. It's not the tool you grab when you can hear the end result before you start.

I was asked for a cataclysmal effect - an 'all hell breaking loose - but something different' sound. Our washing machine has a loud spin cycle that I find really annoying. I sampled it and ran it through Iris, the producer liked it... more than paid for the program. If I never used it again, that was good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro