Great M/S mastering EQ - bx_digital V2

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Great M/S mastering EQ - bx_digital V2

Post by cbergm7210 »

A bit pricey, but it's worked magic on my latest mastering job. Awesome.

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/plugins/ ... al_v2.html
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
jloeb

Re: Great M/S mastering EQ - bx_digital V2

Post by jloeb »

Now this is interesting: I had been avoiding getting bx_digital specifically because of the introduction of Spatial Maximizer (mid/side mastering EQ) in DP8, which I had presumed would make bx_digital redundant.

Is this not the case? How is bx better, if it is? (I still haven't yet updated to DP8 but am planning to within the next few months.)
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

jloeb wrote:Now this is interesting: I had been avoiding getting bx_digital specifically because of the introduction of Spatial Maximizer (mid/side mastering EQ) in DP8, which I had presumed would make bx_digital redundant.

Is this not the case? How is bx better, if it is? (I still haven't yet updated to DP8 but am planning to within the next few months.)
Indeed, I am still on 7.24 and have no intentions of going to 8 soon because of some plugs that are still not 64 bit and am slow to change things that work for me (on DP 6 hours per day to put food on the table), so I cannot speak to the Spatial Maximizer, but I can say that the unique features of this one are quite cool. The mono maker knob, stereo widening knob, auto listen, presence and bass shifter are all very handy. Also, it has a M/S recording mode by where you just record your source in M/S mode, pan the M mic to one side, the S mic to the other, and run it through the plugin and it decodes everything for you automatically. Makes recording in M/S mode easy.

Check out some of the reviews around the net, and the video. It is a pretty deep tool. I've seen it on more than a couple of "must have" mastering plug in lists. That's how I stumbled across it. 8)
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

I've owned this plugin before I switched to DP8 and I have to say that the EQ - bx_digital V2 plugin has a more flexible eq curve and sounds better and has a more pleasing tonal quality in that regard than the spatial maximizer both are basically the same. The EQ - bx_digital V2 plugin has way more features, bells and whistles which justifies the price. It does take some getting used to but my favorite is the bx_XL for mastering in MS mode when going for stereo width. The hard part sometimes is trying to figure out when to use these tools whether on a track or on a mastering buss.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Thanks both of you. I'll have to rethink my dismissal of bx_digital, DP8 or no DP8.