Pianoteq 5 is out.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Pianoteq 5 is out.

Post by David Polich »

Modarrt has released Pianoteq5. Lots of improvements including new piano models.

In case anyone is not familiar with it, Pianoteq is a physically modeled piano (and other)
instrument. No samples. In addition to a wide range of acoustic piano models (Steinway,
Bluthner, Yamaha, Bechstein, etc.), Pianoteq includes several harpsichords, clavichords, a Rhodes, a Wurlitzer, Clavinet, bells, vibraphones, marimbas, xylophones, and steel drums.

Free downloadable demo available here:

http://www.pianoteq.com
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stubbsonic

Re: Pianoteq 5 is out.

Post by stubbsonic »

I own PT Pro v4. Does anyone know what the upgrade price is? I went to the site, but it wanted my serial before giving me a price. I'm not sure if I'm going to leap immediately or not.

I really like Pianoteq. It is a very musical instrument for me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

stubbsonic wrote:I own PT Pro v4. Does anyone know what the upgrade price is? I went to the site, but it wanted my serial before giving me a price. I'm not sure if I'm going to leap immediately or not.

I really like Pianoteq. It is a very musical instrument for me.
You only have to enter your serial number to get the upgrade price. Just one extra step. If
you purchased Pianoteq 4 within the last calendar year, I believe the upgrade to 5 is free.

I've just gone through an hour with version 5 now. The difference in quality really is stunning.
All the models have been re-done, and the new K2 model is great. If you've done custom presets of your own, you'll find that you no longer need to boost the equalizer highs or push
the midrange to get the bite and punch you need. All of my presets (which I made with Pianoteq 4) were way too bright because I was overcompensating on the highs.

The critical middle octaves are now punchier and more present. There have been complaints
about this area in past versions of Pianoteq...I think the days of those complaints have come
to an end with version 5.

Version 5's output is also louder and responds to dynamics better.

I can't recommend this upgrade enough. Regardless of what it costs, you should get it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Grabbed it. And I was very pleased to find my upgrade was free.

It has become my go-to piano. I just "feels" better than everything else - even Ivory.

And at $100-ish for the stage version I think it is a steal.

Thanks for the heads up.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

After a couple years of occasionally poking around with the Trial version, sometimes liking it, sometimes meh, I finally committed to Stage version 5 yesterday and added the Bluthner.

Wow. Really, really nice. I can finally see what all the hoopla is about.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I should add, for those of you on the fence, that if you add a bit of random detuning (not enough to sound off) it adds a certain familiar realism-- like how it is when you walk up to a real-world-not-neglected piano.

And the things you are given access to tweak are fascinating.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I actually posted this as an update to the Pianoteq 4.5 topic as I originally thought this to be a minor release, but now that I'm finally taking some time away from my job today to do some updates, I'm quite surprised by what a major step up this version is, and for only $39!

There are also two historical library add-ons that I thought at first from their write-up were free, but it turns out they're in demo mode and cost $59 each, so I'll probably wait for a sale as I found most of them a bit harsh (possibly because they are at least partially based on the Pianoteq 3 preset called "M3" so may not be taking full advantage of engine improvements?).

Most of the add-ons are updated as well, but some of the older stuff is forthcoming (but still works). They paid special attention to the acoustic piano add-ons and the D4 this time around.

There are also some new presets splattered across the collection; especially in the electric pianos.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think the upgrade price is the same for all this time, except for those who get it for free due to being recent buyers. Also, I don't remember there being three separate versions before for different price points, but they have a nice chart for you to decide which one is for you.

I agree with Dave's points about no longer needing to automatically EQ, and the punchier dynamic range that is spread more evenly across the frequency spectrum.

I've only been playing it so far; hopefully later tonight I'll do some tracking with it and get an idea of how easy it is to sit in the mix.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The first update is already out, and they've also posted a drag-and-drop preset file for the old 4.5 version of D4 by popular demand.

This update tweaks the D4 and Bleuthner, but I'm too tired to do A/B comparisons tonight.

I did do some intensive session with 5.0 last night though, before the update, and felt like I was sitting at an actual Steinway Grand while using the new improved D4! I can't imagine why anyone would want to revert to 4.5, but I guess it's due to project status, already settled mixes, not breaking projects, etc. Yet from what I heard many prefer the sopund of 4.5.

To me, 5.0 picks up every nuance of expression and is so fluid that I have no awareness that I am "triggering" sounds. Technically, that's not what's going on, so it's no surprise.

The YC5 is also greatly improved, and the new K2 got used on several tracks that I had never been happy with. I always try sample liobraries as well, keeping an open mind, but it's extremely rare that Pianoteq doesn't end up the final choice (sometimes VSL Bosendorfer Imperial gets used in an orchestral mix, but that might change soon as well).

The dynamic range is improved and more smooth and consistent, and I don't notice anything different about the various ranges as before. It didn't bother me before, in the context of a mix, but the difference now is that the illusion of sitting at an acoustic grand is now complete.

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Yes, Pianoteq 5 is impressive to me.
Specially Bluthner, but I do like Marimba, Celeste and Vibes too.

I sure would take the plunge if it had some Rhodes MK1, for Wurli is not my go to electric.

Any rumour on this?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I have the Electric pianos add-on and the R2 is quite "life-like" as a Rhodes. It has a very different personality than Lounge Lizard. I like them both.

https://www.pianoteq.com/electric

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I finally took the plunge with Pianoteq 5 a couple months ago (after years of futzing with the demos occasionally and not quite bonding) and I'm absolutely loving it. The Bluthner and D4 are both excellent, and the 'out of tune' D4 presets sound like an old upright.

Really, really nice.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I have often been interested in this VI but always been turned off at the way they charge more and more for more pianos. Reminds me of Vienna where it is complex to get all the things you want without spending a fortune. Guess I am not used to the ever increasing cost for a piano library.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ordinarily, that would bug me. But this software is really quite good, and it is one of the few that I reach for just for fun & pleasure. Feels like a real instrument-- in all of its manifestations. Just sayin.

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

stubbsonic wrote:Ordinarily, that would bug me. But this software is really quite good, and it is one of the few that I reach for just for fun & pleasure. Feels like a real instrument-- in all of its manifestations. Just sayin.
I have no doubt you are right. I think what happens is I see all the options and don;t know which to try as by reading the options, I start out wanting them ALL. And that is pricey. How much is the best version of all the best pianos they have anyway?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc