Sharing work between two studios.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mal201
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sharing work between two studios.

Post by mal201 »

Hey everybody.

I've been a long time performer user but I'm working on my first full scale album. We are recording the drums at the the drummers home studio and the guitars, bass, and vocals at mine. Both of us are using performer and I was wonder if anybody had any tricks for sharing the sessions in both locations without always running a hard drive back and forth.

Bascially I'll add a guitar track, here, she'll re-record the drums, I'll the vocals, she'll do some snare replacement ect. Other than putting the new audio files and the project file on dropbox or something is there a more efficient way to do this?
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Sharing work between two studios.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

OMF or AAF files are your friends.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
glea

Post by glea »

There are four of us doing the major work on our album, scattered around the country. Tom Stevens set us up with BitTorrent Sync after we realized Dropbox was not really going to work that well. We have a private torrent. I load a stereo drum mix and all the other tracks into the folder on my computer, it uploads to everyone's sync folder. They do their over dubs and add them to the song folder in the sync folder. I can add those back to the master project and everyone has them to add to their project. Doesn't matter what program we are using. It's just WAV files which should line up with no issues.
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World: 3.2 Ghz Quad Xeon | OS 10.11.3 | 2408 Mk3 | 24 i/o | DP9.13 | Logic Pro 9 | 32 Ch Ghost
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Gobbler is perfect for that. One of the main things it is designed for. It lets both of you see the current folder structure of the entire DP folder. I 'think' there is a little video about how to do it not he site.

But if not, it's pretty easy. You point to the desired drive needing scanned. After it's done, you send link to the other ones.

It also serves as an offline encrypted backup for you.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I'm curious to see what the new iCloud Drive feature (just announced today as part of the upcoming Yosemite OS) will offer in this area. Hopefully we are getting back to what we once enjoyed with iDisk!

Babz
mal201

Post by mal201 »

Thanks for all the help. I'll defiantly try all of the above. Sorry i asked the question and then kinda vanished. Went on vacation for a week then had trouble with the day job which put the recording off. But gobbler sounds like a good match for us.

Again thanks.