dedicated preamps or plain Ultralite?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rubens
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

dedicated preamps or plain Ultralite?

Post by Rubens »

Hi guys,

how important you think it is to have a dedicated preamp to record a demo, (a good one of course) with voice and a classical guitar?
I am using a Ultralite and AKG 414 B-ULLS and a Neuman tlm 103.

Next question, what should I have in the presets, auxes, and the master fader for that kind of project?

Thank you,

Rubens.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: dedicated preamps or plain Ultralite?

Post by labman »

All the motu pre's that we have, are just fine. But they certainly don't have character. And thus, in our experience, they tend to need more maneuvering to work them into the mix. Sometimes a bunch more. When we cut tracks, choosing the best preamp is similar to choosing the best mic (and of course it's placement). The closer we get that source to our desired tone via mic, pre, comp, the easier is to play/sing, and later mix.

If we put up our neves, Dakings, or APIs, etc (and even a lowly RNP which is a steal I think), it all comes together so much more quickly.

But as I say, the MOTU pre's are clean and just fine for a lot of generic needs.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rubens wrote:Hi guys,

how important you think it is to have a dedicated preamp to record a demo, (a good one of course) with voice and a classical guitar?
I am using a Ultralite and AKG 414 B-ULLS and a Neuman tlm 103.

Next question, what should I have in the presets, auxes, and the master fader for that kind of project?

Thank you,

Rubens.
Not nearly as important as those who want to sell you high end preamps would have you believe.

A clean pre? You already have them. Your mix consists of one to four tracks (depending how you record and whether or not they are mono or stereo) so fitting "in the mix" isn't going to be a problem.

The best thing you can do for your demo is find a good sounding room. This will also add "character" to the sound.

I am not saying that you don't want an external mic pre. There are many reasons to add one to your setup. "Need", however, isn't one of them - not for this use.

Consult the many threads on this subject. There are some favorites in all price ranges. Read some reviews.

I'm in the "neutral, clean" camp - except when I am not and there are some I will grab to add the appropriate coloration.

You have a couple great microphones that will have no loading issues with your Ultralight.

I'll let you in on a little secret: Most of the postings you read online that tell you why you need a tube preamp are written by people who have never owned one, don't know what they sound like and wouldn't know if there was one in the signal chain or not.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rubens

Post by Rubens »

Guys, thank you very much for the answers. It seems the case is closed! :)
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

love the hat Mike. Gotta get me one of them !
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Like Mike H, I'm in the clean camp. I have an excellent 2 channel Grace pre that is my main go-to (and a couple others), but when I record drums, the extra mics usually go through my old original 828s. No one's ever complained about my drum sound. In fact I frequently get compliments. I think you'll be fine with the Ultralite. My 2 cents - be anal about mic placement.

Re: presets. I don't believe in them. Every project is different and you need to listen before you start adding inserts. JMHO.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I record drums using two Motu 8pres! No client ever complained so far! :D

Listen for yourself: https://soundcloud.com/hugoribeirodrumm ... rokendrums

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks