Insert settings on multiple tracks at once

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ironchef_marc
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Insert settings on multiple tracks at once

Post by ironchef_marc »

I want to add a time shift insert on hundreds of MIDI tracks in my template. I tried using group but won't let me do it. Would there be another way??

Basically I find I need to shift my MIDI tracks 33 ticks earlier for it to playback tight with my metronome. Is there a global settings somewhere for this?

I remember calibrating my audio playback years ago but I am not aware of a MIDI playback calibration.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
Prime Mover

Re: Insert settings on multiple tracks at once

Post by Prime Mover »

Doesn't seem like there would be a non-destructive way to shift MIDI earlier. Can you not shift your audio later? Make a metronome aux track with its own bus, throw a 33ms delay on there and all other audio group outs.

Other than that, there's always destructive time shifting... Not that it's that destructive anyway, you can always shift it back.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

The only way we could do it Marc, was to insert and set up the first MIDI time shift plugin, then option drag in the mixer window across thru the whole template. No fun
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Yeah Magic Dave confirmed there was no shortcuts for this.

It is not a shift against audio but MIDI latency.
Shifting MIDI with the shift function is not practical either since I have to do this manually on every track and can't quantize after it's done.

I just went a head and did it manually on each track.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

ironchef_marc wrote:Yeah Magic Dave confirmed there was no shortcuts for this.

It is not a shift against audio but MIDI latency.
Shifting MIDI with the shift function is not practical either since I have to do this manually on every track and can't quantize after it's done.

I just went a head and did it manually on each track.
Your reason for not doing it with the Shift command doesn't make sense. Can you explain why you can't do it all together? I've done that forever. Quantize before shifting. If you need to quantize more, shift it back, quantize it, and do it again.

Is it because of tempo changes? You can time-shift MIDI on all tracks at once [COMMAND-L], and retain the original performance in doing so. (in case you have lots of tempo changes) Believe me, I used to do this all the time, trying to multi-track with a Yamaha Disklavier, which has a built-in half-second MIDI delay. Before the "preserve original performance," I had to manually shift between every tempo change, a process that cut years off my life, I'm sure. It took me about 6 years to convince MOTU to add the "preserve original performance" feature. I called about every 6 weeks for 6 years. When they added it (and about 3 dozen other features I'd suggested), Les Quindepan told me the new release was basically for me. No matter who... I was thrilled to have the features.

So, relax and enjoy the shifting!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Shooshie wrote:
Your reason for not doing it with the Shift command doesn't make sense. Can you explain why you can't do it all together? I've done that forever. Quantize before shifting. If you need to quantize more, shift it back, quantize it, and do it again.

Shooshie
Efficiency! Why use shift and repeat that task on every track and every time I record something when I can have the insert on the track?
--
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

ironchef_marc wrote:
Shooshie wrote:

Shooshie
Efficiency! Why use shift and repeat that task on every track and every time I record something when I can have the insert on the track?
Oh! I see. We're talking about two different things. Yeah, the plugin works fine for most circumstances. I thought you wanted to use the Shift command, but thought there was some reason why you couldn't.

Never mind.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|