Gotta have my MIDI signal readout! How can I do this?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Gotta have my MIDI signal readout! How can I do this?

Post by MDesigner »

Is there a way to have DP show me incoming hardware CC#s and their values? I tried building my own MIDI readout using the Console, but it seems to "trap" the CC signal and not let it pass through normally (it wants you to redirect it somewhere). I just want something to read the CCs incoming and show me.

Is this possible?
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Dan Worley

Re: Gotta have my MIDI signal readout! How can I do this?

Post by Dan Worley »

DP10.13
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

+1, a must have in any studio.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Thanks for that. Wish it weren't a separate window though. I wish DP had something like this built-in so I can just easily glance over at it (I only have one monitor).
Sam Hulick
Composer
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

MDesigner wrote:Thanks for that. Wish it weren't a separate window though. I wish DP had something like this built-in so I can just easily glance over at it (I only have one monitor).
Sorry.
DP10.13
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Sorry that I have just one monitor? Me too. ;) A problem I'll be correcting soon...
Sam Hulick
Composer
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Spaces.

If you're not using Spaces, you aren't getting the most out of OS X. I think since Lion they've been calling them Desktops or something. You access them through Mission Control.

Watch this video and see if you find anything here you can apply to your own situation. Seeing this for the first time usually is an eye-opener, though some find it unacceptable. Either a life changer or "meh." Depends on how much productivity you want, I guess.

(btw, open the video to full screen, and use 720p resolution for best results)

Anyway, I sometimes keep MIDI Monitor open in a space of its own, or sharing a space with some of the other items you see in the video. As for having it IN Digital Performer, why? It's really no different. If you want it to open with a file, just drop an alias for it into a Startup Clipping Window. It will then open automatically every time you open that file.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

D'OH!! Wait, where's the appropriate emoticon.

:banghead:

Why did I not think of that? I actually use multiple desktops (but only 2), one for music work, and one for everything else (emails, web, etc). AND, I believe I tried using a separate desktop once for Cubase, to move the mixing board onto it. I don't recall it working so well.

DP, however, seems like it works fantastically with multiple desktops. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Sam Hulick
Composer
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, there is one thing I forgot to cover in the video, and you have probably already discovered it, but just in case: in Preferences, set DP's control panel to float. If you make it full-screen, it won't float. If it floats, it will follow you to each space. That's essential!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Thanks!
Sam Hulick
Composer