Don't quite understand Reshape vs Pencil tool

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Don't quite understand Reshape vs Pencil tool

Post by MDesigner »

Specifically it's the standard "Set" reshape mode I don't get. It seems like it does the same thing as Pencil, except it kind of doesn't work as I'd expect it to. Here are some screenshot examples.

So here's my disjointed CC1 data I wish to smooth out:

First I use the Pencil tool, which results in something that works:

I undo that and try the Reshape "set" mode and this is what I get:

It seems just like Pencil, except for some odd reason it decides to drop the CC1 way down even through the original CC1 data did not do that. Actually, I noticed all the reshape modes will plot an endpoint nowhere near where I end the drag.

So how does freeform reshape differ from pencil?
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Shooshie

Re: Don't quite understand Reshape vs Pencil tool

Post by Shooshie »

The drop down thing is explainable, but a little odd because of how MOTU decided to make it recently. It may be interpreting preceding values, as I'll explain below. Think "Touch Mode."

I suggest, when using the reshape tool, that you use Points or Bars mode. Lines mode is better for hand-editing a line, which may need for it to create extra points or delete points in order to do what you asked by adjusting the line.

In Lines Mode, when adding and dragging the control points by hand, you have to grab on the line within a certain (short) distance of an existing control point and drag to create new data that fill in the space and the angle of the line you've drawn. Grab too far away, and it will treat the new point as an independent control point, and it will not change the data in between it and the previous point. Thus, when you grab close and drag, you will see a ramp being formed. Grab too far away and drag, and you see a sudden cliff. This is by design, and it gives you options. You just learn how far away to grab the line to generate what you want.

The Reshape Tool can be amazingly precise, but sometimes it does wonky things like what you showed us. That's not always the case. I wish I could tell you how to make it do what you want, but when it does that to me, I switch to Points Mode, or I drag the Line Mode control points by hand.

There is what I consider a bug in the reshape tool at the moment. In my opinion, the tool should reshape the selected and visible events. The programmers who have been working there since Version 6 have insisted that you actually select the data type you want to reshape. Then it reshapes it whether it's visible or not. If you've got Expression hidden by the QuickFilter, and you've got Expression (#11) selected in the menu, the Reshape tool will reshape it regardless of whether it's visible. I think that's a mistake. It should only reshape what you've selected AND what's visible.

Pencil tool, on the other hand, should either add the data type selected in the menu, or the type that's visible in the Quickfilter. The programmers at MOTU aren't listening to me on that one, but I'll be asking them again. This isn't how it always worked, if my memory serves.

Pencil Tool is for adding data, not editing existing data. If you draw a line over an existing line, it will erase the existing line, which is basically the same thing as editing. But if you draw where there is no line, it will add the data. Reshape won't do that. (or at least, it's not supposed to) The only time Reshape adds data is in Line Mode, and that's where you have to be careful.

Here is what I think is happening when the Reshape Tool ends on a different value than the one you stopped on when you drew. First, note that you are in Lines Mode, where Reshape adds data. Since it's adding data, it's treating the "reshape" as if you were in Touch Mode automation, adjusting the fader. When you "release" the tool, it's as though you released the fader in Touch Mode, and it quickly goes back to its starting position.

You can test that; I haven't, but I am pretty sure that's how it's working. That may be handy for people editing their automation instead of doing Touch fader in passes. If it leaves your controller in its starting position, and you don't want that, then grab that control point and pull it where you want it. But remember... it's doing "touch mode" when in Lines Mode. If you don't like that, use Lines Mode to create more data if necessary, then switch to Points Mode to edit it more the way you want it. Or drag lines mode control points by hand.

DP's drawing tools are complex and deep. Be sure that you know the keyboard commands for them, and that you are using them. You'll want to use the I-Beam to select the MIDI in the active track to audition your changes (Option-Spacebar).The I-Beam will select not just the notes, but also the control points. If you aren't using Quickfilter, you can use the cursor/lasso to select note velocities and continuous data all together for audition. But the I-Beam will be necessary if you're in QuickFilter mode and Lines Mode.

In Lines Mode, the velocity points are not present.

When you assimilate ALL this information, the drawing tools begin to make sense to you, and they work extremely well. They're very powerful. It's like the difference between most drawing apps and Adobe Illustrator. You MUST know the key commands to work it fluently.

Also, you need to know that using the Shift Key is essential for maintaining a selection, and for constraining a drag. It's especially necessary when doing a Proportional Drag (Control-Drag), so that your proportional change only moves on one axis, not both.

Sorry to give you so much information, but you're expecting these tools to act very simply, when THEY expect YOU to know a whole lotta information before you start messing around with them. I think I've covered the basics. There's a lot more.

To conclude: there's nothing really wrong with the drawing tools. They do things differently from the way they used to work, but that shouldn't matter to you since you're new at this, anyway. Be patient; learn how they work. Completely.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

In case you missed it last time I posted it:

The Toolbar Keyboard Commands:
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

That's a lot to digest! I'll come back and absorb in detail when I have some time, but I wanted to let you know I didn't ignore your response :)
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]