The function / problem / mystery of Audible Mode

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The function / problem / mystery of Audible Mode

Post by Tripi »

Here's my thing about Audible Mode: it's great for MIDI. I click on a MIDI note, and I can hear what I'm clicking on. Move it up or down, the pitch changes. For audio soundbites..... this is ridiculous. I mean, the biggest single time-sucker, beachball-inducing, insanity ever included in DP. I don't say that lightly. I've been using since before the Digital prefix appeared. If I'm working in the sequence editor, and I "accidentally" have the audible mode button on (that little speaker in the control bar), and I move the edge of the soundbite, everything freezes. DP has to spin the ball, and make me stop working for almost a full minute so that it can audition this phrase. I feel like I am walking on pins and needles to make sure I don't accidentally leave audible mode on. I can't find any way to disable it just for sound bites.... surely DP wasn't intended to take so long to think about this function (and don't call me Shirley!)

Anyways, what I am asking is why do we use this function, and does it freeze the program for everyone else? Don't even get me started with the soundbite editor window. If I "accidentally" open that one, and the play box is enabled, DP apparently has to reboot itself just to function.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is so? I didn't mean to start ranting, so feel free to move this to troubleshooting forum if appropriate, but I am mainly interested in use and function.

Thanks!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Dan Worley

Re: The function / problem / mystery of Audible Mode

Post by Dan Worley »

Nothing should take that long. When you say "move the edge of the soundbite," are you edge editing (with arrows) or stretching the soundbite (with the hand tool)?

If the latter, then DP needs to figure out the beat/tempo info. You can turn all that off in the background processing preferences, if you don't need it. I feel that DP is much more responsive and smoother with all that stuff off, but you may need it for the type of work you do, and DP should be fast at this anyway, and it's supposed to be "background processing," not interfering with your work.

Experiment by turning all that off and see if it gets any better.

How many tracks are you dealing with? Have your templates gone through DP5, DP6, DP7? You may need to make some fresh templates.

DP10.13
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Thanks Dan. I was definitely considering the 'fresh template' idea. I've always found that it works better than updating old ones. The one I am using isn't that old though. I have all that other stuff off.

The edge editing is just trimming the length of soundbites. Still so confused why this is the behavior of DP.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BTW, I can edge-edit multiple soundbites without hesitation. The audible mode works in real-time, scrubbing the edge audio as I go. There are no spinning wheels or spiked processors or delays of any sort.

Not sure what could cause the difference. Something is doing it, of course. I have automatic DSP analysis turned off until needed, and beat detection is turned off until needed. That may be the reason edge editing is smooth here. Try it and see if that makes any difference.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Dan Worley wrote:Nothing should take that long. When you say "move the edge of the soundbite," are you edge editing (with arrows) or stretching the soundbite (with the hand tool)?

This is a good question. Are you sure you're edge editing? Or do you see a hand? The hand is the stretch tool, and that DOES take a while for each move. Dan asked, but I'm just making certain.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I have all that DSP stuff turned off, and I'm not doing stretching of soundbites. Just edge editing, but if the audible mode is on, everything grinds to a halt. It's like when you change the buffer settings in DP, and the whole audio system has to restart. I'm on a pretty big template, so I think it must have something to do with it. But, it still sucks.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

That does suck. There should be no delay when edge editing and doing x-fades and the like. I don't use large temples, so I can't really troubleshoot that part of it.

As a crazy idea, see if changing the default output in bundles makes a difference. Move the output of a different device to the top of the output list. You can use the internal output if you need to, unless that's the one you're already using. I delete outputs I don't use. It just seems to give DP less things to think about.

Which interfaces are you using? Are the drivers and firmware all up to date?
DP10.13