Controller data pane questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Controller data pane questions

Post by MDesigner »

A few questions about the controller pane:

1) In that menu, why can't I choose sustain? There's only a set list of controllers, I feel like you should be able to add new ones to that popup menu.

2) How do I disable the note on/off tick marks in the graph?
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Dan Worley

Re: Controller data pane questions

Post by Dan Worley »

Preferences > Editing > Continuous Data (there are limitations)

Answer to your second question is the View Filter (Command F).
DP10.13
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Ahh, so many menu options, so little time! Thank you. :)
Sam Hulick
Composer
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MDesigner wrote:A few questions about the controller pane:

1) In that menu, why can't I choose sustain? There's only a set list of controllers, I feel like you should be able to add new ones to that popup menu.

2) How do I disable the note on/off tick marks in the graph?

Sam, I'm going to answer your questions, because that's why I come here: to help others so that they have it easier than I did, and so that people can concentrate on making music in Digital Performer, realizing its full potential rather than limping along with the most basic knowledge, always wishing "it did more," when actually it does more, more easily, than probably any other DAW on the planet.

But, I've noticed that you ask a lot of questions that are very easily located in the manual. Our place here isn't to be your very own personal talking manual. We're here to help with those things that the manual isn't clear on, or with techniques that go way beyond the scope of a manual.

That said, here are your answers:

The controllers listed in your screenshot are customizable in the Legend window. Go to one of the smaller panels of the Consolidated Windows and look for "Legend." You will see the button that says "Customize." And your anticipated next question, after doing that, will be "can you set it to show MORE of them?" No.

Your other question, how to disable NOTE-OFF tics, is the View Filter. It's about the 1st or 2nd thing in the Setup Menu.

Now, for all our sakes, but mainly for YOUR sake: read the manual. There simply is no substitute for that. Be one of the people who answer questions more than they ask them.

Cheers,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Yes, my apologies. I do try to search for certain things in the manual but it's rather massive, and if something relevant doesn't turn up, I turn here. I wish I had time at the moment to sit down and actually page through the manual. I've also got Groove3 videos waiting for me. But I'm on two projects, flipping between Cubase & DP, and time is severely limited. Hence no RTFM. :) But I'll try to spam the forum less with questions. Nonetheless, I appreciate the answers and help!
Sam Hulick
Composer
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MDesigner wrote:Yes, my apologies. I do try to search for certain things in the manual but it's rather massive, and if something relevant doesn't turn up, I turn here. I wish I had time at the moment to sit down and actually page through the manual. I've also got Groove3 videos waiting for me. But I'm on two projects, flipping between Cubase & DP, and time is severely limited. Hence no RTFM. :) But I'll try to spam the forum less with questions. Nonetheless, I appreciate the answers and help!
If you must, go ahead and ask. I just want you to understand how crucial it is to read that tome at some point. You'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier, I promise.

By the way, the Table of Contents is set up in an outline form, listing pretty much everything that is discussed. If you don't find exactly what you're looking for in the index, you can often find it in the TOC, or by "triangulating" between them.

Another place to find things VERY quickly is in the Commands Window. Type in what you're looking for, and all commands related to it will appear in the window.

Then, there is the online help. DP has a help menu that uses a condensed form of the manual with lots of pictures to speed things up.

Lastly, of course, you have the manual itself, in PDF form. That's very searchable. The only problem there is terminology. It's easy to call something a screw when they call it a bolt.

I learned everything from the manual, trial & error, and experience. The night before I first went into a studio where I'd be using SMPTE, I must have sat up half the night learning all I could about SMPTE and using it in DP. That was pre-Internet days, or at least, pre-WWW days. Information wasn't as easy to come by. I was nervous that I'd be found out as a SMPTE virgin, but come to find out, by the time we began striping tape, I knew more about it than anyone in the room. Why? Because reading manuals is antithetical to the whole idea of being a musician. When you read the manual, you're already way ahead of the pack.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|