Importing MIDI drum loops (MIDI files)?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
todfiste
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Importing MIDI drum loops (MIDI files)?

Post by todfiste »

I bought a bunch of MIDI drum loops as GM files - 2800 of them organized into nested folders. (From Oddgrooves.com, if that matters) Each MIDI file will translate to one DP MIDI track.

Is there a good way to do this en masse (i.e., not one at a time)? If I drag them from the desktop or put them in the clippings folder and drag them from there the file name doesn't get put in the track name, and also I get a pop-up warning FOR EACH FILE/TRACK saying "This drag contains a conductor track. Would you like to merge the dragged data into the sequence's conductor track?"

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
stubbsonic

Re: Importing MIDI drum loops (MIDI files)?

Post by stubbsonic »

Hmmmm. This is kind of a good general topic about when you have a library of 1000's of something, how to:

A. Comprehend what you have and what is useful. Understand the organization of the items.

B. Locate and audition the items quickly and efficiently, without sifting through ALL of them.

C. Developing a workflow to import what you need when you need it.

If you really have your heart set on importing all 2800 MIDI loops into DP and having them as clippings with names that match the original, then you might want to consider creating a workflow (either in automator, or in QuicKeys). That just sounds like a nightmare.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kshrieve

Re: Importing MIDI drum loops (MIDI files)?

Post by kshrieve »

I bought 250 MIDI loops from oddgrooves.com and one of the several formats it came in was for EZdrummer. When I put that folder in the EZdrummer/MIDI folder the loops are super-convenient to explore via the EZdrummer Browser window.

If you don't want EZdrummer, I assume you could use the $49 EZplayer Pro in the same way: http://www.toontrack.com/product/ezplayer-pro/
MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 - 8G RAM - OSX 10.11.6 - DP 9.12 - MachFive 3.2.1 - EZdrummer 2 - Samson
Graphite 49 - Godin Freeway SA - Roland GR-20 synth pedal - NI Guitar Rig 5 and Kontrol pedal