DP8 Basic Questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
echo7
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 Basic Questions

Post by echo7 »

Hi,
I am trying out DP8 because of its unique video features, but I am coming from using Logic and Pro Tools. I have a some basic questions that I cannot seem to find in the manual or shortcuts list.

First off, how do you rearrange multiple tracks in the tracks window. I highlight multiple tracks but only one moves when I drag it up or down.

Also, how do you change the color of multiple tracks at the same time. I have a bunch of strings tracks that I would like to all be the same color.

When working on a MIDI track in the sequence editor, why is there no MIDI region? It just shows the MIDI notes. When working with MIDI, do most people use the "tracks" window and the "MIDI window" or do they use the sequence window somehow?

Thanks for the help. Looking forward to getting these basics down.
FMiguelez

Re: DP8 Basic Questions

Post by FMiguelez »

Welcome to the forum 8)
echo7 wrote:
First off, how do you rearrange multiple tracks in the tracks window. I highlight multiple tracks but only one moves when I drag it up or down.
Select the tracks you want to move. Right-click and select a track-moving command from the contextual menu.
Notice that you can place multiple tracks below another track with one command. For this, select the track where all the others will be placed below it. Select the tracks you want to move. Press Option-Command-Home. Bam! All your selected tracks go below the first selected track.
echo7 wrote:Also, how do you change the color of multiple tracks at the same time. I have a bunch of strings tracks that I would like to all be the same color.
If you are in the Track Overview window (the Tracks window), select your tracks, press letter t, and without releasing it, select the desired color for any track. The selected tracks become the selected color.
If you are in any other window, e.g., the mixer, the SE, and you want to make a color change (or any other change) to all visible tracks (visible as in existing in that editor), press letter w and do as above.

For this to work, you must make sure your temporary group types are set to do this, of course.
echo7 wrote:When working on a MIDI track in the sequence editor, why is there no MIDI region? It just shows the MIDI notes. When working with MIDI, do most people use the "tracks" window and the "MIDI window" or do they use the sequence window somehow?
I suppose most of us use different windows according to the current need.

I love using the Graphic Editor (MIDI window) for multiple or individual tracks. But I also use QuickScribe, and occasionally the List editor.

There are no MIDI regions, sadly. But you can sort of make up for this with any of the powerful selection methods (check out the tips sheet for Shooshie's tips on creating powerful selections).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
frankf

Post by frankf »

You can also save time range selections and recall them. And don't forget about clippings where you can store almost anything, including MIDI "regions". Look up clippings in the manual for details
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
echo7

Post by echo7 »

Great! Thanks for the info and fast reply.

I had one other question about MIDI sequencing. When I'm in the MIDI editor and want to move a note to the grid, the note snaps incorrectly. Lets say I have the grid set to measure. The note moves over exactly 1 measure instead of just snapping to the downbeat of a measure. How do I change this?
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

In the setup menu you will find colors, in there is assign colors, highlight the tracks you want
choses the color all of them change. I just tried it, it works.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

echo7 wrote:Great! Thanks for the info and fast reply.

I had one other question about MIDI sequencing. When I'm in the MIDI editor and want to move a note to the grid, the note snaps incorrectly. Lets say I have the grid set to measure. The note moves over exactly 1 measure instead of just snapping to the downbeat of a measure. How do I change this?
Hmmm... That's DP's way of using the grid. It's relative, not absolute.

What you can do, is to quantize the notes you want to the nearest grid point first (with a key command, of course). After that, they will move by perfect grid increments, according to what you set it to.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
echo7

Post by echo7 »

hmm thats annoying. To bring up the quantize window is command 0, but is there a way to just select the notes and press 1 key to quantize them to the setting selected in the quantize window?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

echo7 wrote:hmm thats annoying. To bring up the quantize window is command 0, but is there a way to just select the notes and press 1 key to quantize them to the setting selected in the quantize window?
Of course.
Simply select your notes and apply the quantize command. They will get quantized to the grid according to your settings.
What I don't think you can do is to move notes with the arrows to their closest grid position, as you want. It does involve an extra step, but it's doable.

Both scenarios, relative and absolute grid, are very useful. Personally, I've never felt the need for the absolute grid and love the relative one.

You could write MOTU and suggest them to let us have it both ways.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BTW, if you want your notes quantized from the beginning, you could use Input Quantize. That way they will be on the grid from the start without further editing.

echo7

Post by echo7 »

I can't find the "quantize" shortcut in the commands window. Only the quantize menu shortcut.

I keep running into basic things that I can't figure how to do haha. In every daw that I've used "enter" on the keyboard brings the playback scroller to the beginning of the sequence. Where is the command in the command window to do this.

Thanks for the help so far.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

echo7 wrote:
I keep running into basic things that I can't figure how to do haha. In every daw that I've used "enter" on the keyboard brings the playback scroller to the beginning of the sequence. Where is the command in the command window to do this.

Thanks for the help so far.
Press keypad number one twice.

If you want to really learn DP, and enjoy using it, you will have to forget about all the other DAWs. DP does things its own way. Sure, there are many similarities to other DAWs as well, but you can't expect one to work and behave like the other. Otherwise, there would only be ONE DAW in the market, yes?

If reading manuals is not your thing, perhaps looking at tutorials is better for you? These will take you step by step to a very comfortable DP level. Check them out:

http://www.groove3.com/str/Digital-Perf ... ained.html
and
http://www.groove3.com/str/Digital-Perf ... anced.html

doodles

Post by doodles »

FMiguelez wrote:First off, how do you rearrange multiple tracks in the tracks window. I highlight multiple tracks but only one moves when I drag it up or down.

Select the tracks you want to move. Right-click and select a track-moving command from the contextual menu.
Notice that you can place multiple tracks below another track with one command. For this, select the track where all the others will be placed below it. Select the tracks you want to move. Press Option-Command-Home. Bam! All your selected tracks go below the first selected track.

echo7 wrote:
Also, how do you change the color of multiple tracks at the same time. I have a bunch of strings tracks that I would like to all be the same color.

If you are in the Track Overview window (the Tracks window), select your tracks, press letter t, and without releasing it, select the desired color for any track. The selected tracks become the selected color.
If you are in any other window, e.g., the mixer, the SE, and you want to make a color change (or any other change) to all visible tracks (visible as in existing in that editor), press letter w and do as above.
Oh dear God. One day i HAVE TO READ THE F'ING MANUAL.

FM, you are a genius. I never knew about either of these - will come in SO handy. THANKYOU!!!!! :D :D :D :D
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam