Are many plugins missing in the DP8 demo?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Are many plugins missing in the DP8 demo?

Post by Topo »

I opened a 7.24 project in the DP8 demo, and immediately got a "missing"...MW Leveler, eVerb and a bunch of others. Looking in the plugins list, it's about a third of what I have in DP7. I can't imagine they'd get rid of the masterworks plugs.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Are many plugins missing in the DP8 demo?

Post by magicd »

The DP8 demo version is actually a full install of the software, including all stock plug-ins.

By default, DP8 runs in 64 bit mode and therefore will not see any 32 bit plug-ins. Perhaps you have installed the MOTU Masterworks bundle, which includes the MW Leveler, Limiter, EQ, and ProVerb. The Masterworks bundle is 32 bit only. However, those plug-ins are included as stock installs with DP8. Check the DP8 plug-in inserts. Do you see the MW plugs listed there?

If you have other 32 bit-only plugs, you can Get Info on the DP8 application and check the box to run in 32 bit mode. DP8 will then see all your 32 bit plug-ins.

Dave

Post by Topo »

So...are you saying that DP8, in 64 bit mode, will never show the MW plugs? Thats quite a bummer..I use the Leveler all the time. Are there no MW plugs that will work in DP8 64 bit?

That would then make me consider what benefit 64 bit would have otherwise. I've not had my iMac boot into 64 bit before, so I really don't know if there's anything I'll be missing.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
magicd

Post by magicd »

Topo wrote:So...are you saying that DP8, in 64 bit mode, will never show the MW plugs?
I am not saying that. DP8 ships with all the same plug-ins that ship with DP7, plus the additional plugs included with the update. All these stock plug-ins run in both 32 and 64 bit mode.

The MW plugs are also sold separately by MOTU as The Masterworks Collection. This is for DAWs other than DP. Currently the Masterworks Collection is 32 bit only. If you had the Masterworks collection installed (which you wouldn't need if you were only running Digital Performer), it could be possible that you've loaded the 32 bit versions in DP7 and that's why you get the error in DP8. There's an easy way to check that. Look in the plug-ins list in DP8. If you see the MW plug-ins, that's what's happened. However, if you don't see the MW plugs in the DP8 plug-ins list, something else is happening.

I see that you've contacted MOTU technical Support. I'll reply there and we'll get this going for you.

Dave

Post by Topo »

magicd wrote: If you have other 32 bit-only plugs, you can Get Info on the DP8 application and check the box to run in 32 bit mode. DP8 will then see all your 32 bit plug-ins.

Dave
OK...I'll try this tonight and see what I get. Assuming that will work, what is the advantage of working in 64 bit mode? If the MW plugs are not compatible, thats actually a negative in my usage....will there be 64 bit versions? thanks
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Topo wrote:
magicd wrote: If you have other 32 bit-only plugs, you can Get Info on the DP8 application and check the box to run in 32 bit mode. DP8 will then see all your 32 bit plug-ins.

Dave
OK...I'll try this tonight and see what I get. Assuming that will work, what is the advantage of working in 64 bit mode? If the MW plugs are not compatible, thats actually a negative in my usage....will there be 64 bit versions? thanks
Dude - the MW plugs ARE 64-bit and 32-bit. They will work whether you are in 32-bit mode
or 64-bit mode.

The advantage of working in 64-bit mode? Wow, I could write a book. But suffice it to say, it
really is the only mode you should be working in. Mainly, in 64-bit mode you can utilize all of your computer's RAM, in 32-bit mode the maximum RAM you can address is 4GB. From your signature, it seems you have 12GB of RAM. In 32-bit mode you can only use 4GB of that.

Think about it - let's say you've loaded a RAM-hungry sample library in Kontakt, or a RAM-hungry VI like Spectrasonics Omnisphere. With DP already consuming at least 2 GB of RAM,
you'll run out of memory in no time and that will make DP sluggish and eventually unresponsive.

Believe it or not, some plug-ins consume RAM too - a few consume a lot more than others.

In my experience, DP8 running in 32-bit mode is just too jerky and sluggish. And you will
see that the "memory usage" goes almost all the way to the red rather quickly. It's not an official MOTU position, but IMO DP 8 (8.06) really runs efficiently only in 64-bit mode.

I recommend you upgrade your iMac's RAM to the maximum, as well. I think it's 16GB for your model but I may be wrong.

And one last thing - undoubtedly you have some older plug-ins that are not yet 64-bit compatible. To get them to work in DP8 in 64-bit mode, you'll need an adapter/bridge program. I recommend SoundRadix's 32 Lives - best money I ever spent:

http://www.soundradix.com
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com

Post by Topo »

David Polich wrote: Dude - the MW plugs ARE 64-bit and 32-bit. They will work whether you are in 32-bit mode
or 64-bit mode.

The advantage of working in 64-bit mode? Wow, I could write a book..........
That sounds right on...I *do* have ram hungry VI's. However, when I tested things I found that 7/8's of the MOTU plugins do not show up when DP8 is in 64 bit mode, and my iMac is booted into 32 bit. I then changed DP8 to launch into 32 bit, and they all were available then. BUT, they acted very weird. I brought up the MW Leveler and it was stuck in the upper left corner of the raster and could not be moved. Then I brought up another plugin and it only would show me a white box. My conclusion is that the plugins don't seem to work correctly when DP8 is in 32 bit mode.

I'm at the tail end of a big project now, so I think I will have to stay at DP7 for the time being. No need to upset the cart. Have to see about upgrading in a month or so.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Topo wrote:
David Polich wrote: Dude - the MW plugs ARE 64-bit and 32-bit. They will work whether you are in 32-bit mode
or 64-bit mode.

The advantage of working in 64-bit mode? Wow, I could write a book..........
That sounds right on...I *do* have ram hungry VI's. However, when I tested things I found that 7/8's of the MOTU plugins do not show up when DP8 is in 64 bit mode, and my iMac is booted into 32 bit. I then changed DP8 to launch into 32 bit, and they all were available then. BUT, they acted very weird. I brought up the MW Leveler and it was stuck in the upper left corner of the raster and could not be moved. Then I brought up another plugin and it only would show me a white box. My conclusion is that the plugins don't seem to work correctly when DP8 is in 32 bit mode.

I'm at the tail end of a big project now, so I think I will have to stay at DP7 for the time being. No need to upset the cart. Have to see about upgrading in a month or so.
Then something is very wrong with your install of DP8. You should uninstall and re-install, to begin with. It sounds like your installation got corrupted.

Everyone else can use the MOTU plug-ins in DP8 in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You should uninstall and re-install, to begin with. It sounds like your installation got corrupted.
Unlike DP 7, there is no Uninstall. Just run the DP 8 installer again. Something is indeed weird.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro

Post by Topo »

The very weird thing is that ALL the plugins, including the new DP8 plugins, show up in DP7...BUT, only about 6 show up in DP8. I first thought it was the fact that the iMac wasn't booted into 64bit kernel, but I did that last night, and DP8 would still not show the plugins....only 7.24 has them all there. I'm waiting for Dave at MOTU to advise what to do next...maybe I can move the plugin files to a different location. If I uninstall/Reinstall DP8, I'll have to reinstall DP7 after that, due to DP8's manipulation of the LAME mp3 function, that renders mp3 exporting useless (even tho the correct lame framework is installed). Moving the plugins would be a lot easier.