Quick way to mute or solo a MIDI track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Quick way to mute or solo a MIDI track?

Post by FMiguelez »

MDesigner wrote:PS: The percentage velocity idea is pretty brilliant, but unfortunately it won't work with many sample libraries, as it's often the case that the loudness/dynamics is controlled by CC1, not note velocity.
Agreed.
I think that feature was implemented back when all we used were hardware synths. It really works for those, but with samples, as you said, it rarely works because of their different number of velocity layers, etc.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Quick way to mute or solo a MIDI track?

Post by Dan Worley »

MDesigner wrote:Ahh, solo mode is great for the MIDI window. Thanks for the tip!

Now, the only other issue I have is soloing a folder of tracks. I often do this to check percussion by itself, etc. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it takes a few steps to unsolo.

To solo percussion is simple: option-click the play enable button for percussion.

To "un-solo" percussion is two steps unfortunately:
1) Command-click percussion play enable (this disables percussion but re-enables everything else)
2) Click play enable on percussion; now everything is re-enabled

Am I missing something?
Sounds like you're actually muting and not soloing. Toggle on Solo Mode first, then use the Option key when clicking on the play button to isolate a track or track folder. When you want to leave solo mode, toggle it off with the same key command.

Also, you can assign solo to track groups, if you want.
DP10.13